Post Bac Program Requirements

Hi, I’m new here and would really appreciate some input on post bac programs and their list of requirements. It seems that most programs give a minimum GPA requirement ranging from 3.0 to 3.5. My first question is, are they black and white about this requisite, or are there exceptions? Second, many programs require some type of test score, either SAT or GRE. Since a GRE score is likely do be more current, do they favor it over an SAT score? Thanks so much!

• WillM88 Said:

Hi, I'm new here and would really appreciate some input on post bac programs and their list of requirements. It seems that most programs give a minimum GPA requirement ranging from 3.0 to 3.5. My first question is, are they black and white about this requisite, or are there exceptions? Second, many programs require some type of test score, either SAT or GRE. Since a GRE score is likely do be more current, do they favor it over an SAT score? Thanks so much!

The number formal of post-bacc programs have grown to over 100 but they vary greatly in structure, competitiveness, requirements. Some are specifically designed to help increase GPA and can be found under "academic record-enhancers" in The AAMC Post-Bacc Listings. Also, many of the these programs have a small administration and can be easily approached and discuss your specific situation.

You can also consider a "DIY" (do-it-yourself) Post-Bacc by taking the required prerequisites at a nearby school. Most schools usually have a "non-matriculated" student mechanism (ie, you pay and take whatever courses you want). For tactical reasons, it often is worth to register as a regular (usually second degree) student. This helps with getting some priority to register for classes. As a student you can use the pre-med advisor, and other services the school has to offer

So don't think you have to be in a formal post-bacc in order to prepare for medical school. Does a formal post-bacc make you more competitive? There is no data only the anecdotal evidence from the many people here on OPM who have gone the DIY route and were accepted to medical school.

I got into postbacc program with 3.0GPA. Depending on schools, but mine accepted me as a 2-year program. If you have GPA higher than 3.5, they accept you for 1 year program though. Do a little research and find what’s best for you.