Post-bac program

OMG. I have to share this with you… After being advised to enroll in a second degree program, (because my bachelor’s degree in Journalism is from an international university) and to take all the coursework necessary to get the degree in Biology - I was informed today that all that work wasn’t necessary! It’s unbelievable!

I was advised to enroll as a non-degree seeking student to do all the requirements.

However, I don’t know what to do. My GPA from the international university is 3.2.

My current GPA is 3.5 (Biology - Pre-Med).

Do you think I should continue as a 2nd degree student or not?

I would love to hear from you.

Thanks!!

Flavia

Bachelor’s degree from outside the U.S. is a little dicey and many med schools are going to be hesitant… so my advice is: 1, second bachelor’s most certainly can’t hurt, and probably helps, your application; 2, you absolutely positively MUST contact the med schools you’d be interested in to find out if your non-US degree puts you at a disadvantage - or outright disqualifies you.

You may be able to get some information on MD schools from the MSAR (available from AMCAS) but you are going to need to talk to people directly to get an answer that you can trust.

Mary

Hi Mary, thank you very much for your answer. I was a little hesitant to go for the non-degree seeking idea. I cannot be in disadvantage…