Post-bacc premed programs

I could really use some guidance here.

Anyone have opinions about the best route to go in order to complete prereqs? All over the board, I’m seeing post-bacc certificate program graduates, and I’m wondering about the benefits of this route versus completing each course individually? In the eyes of the adcoms, is there a benefit of one route versus the other? I’d like to complete my prereqs in a timely (and budget-friendly) fashion. My situation right now is I’m 26, single, no kids. My job is fairly flexible (working as a contract provider for an NP housecalls program). I’m fully committed to this rigorous process and ready to jump in head first… just want to make sure I’m going about it the right way.

Thanks!

Emily

I don’t know your background, but I know that my post-bacc program wouldn’t allow me in because I already had taken some of the med-school pre-reqs. So that may not be an option. I am doing did, diy and I have gotten pretty good guidence from various professors and on here to know how to do my courses. I must say though that it would have been nice to have that structure and some of the connections that post-bacc programs have.

DIY or formal, both have had success stories. Like Bailey mentioned, there may be some factors that push you toward one option or the other. You mainly have to weigh the pros and cons for your particular situation.

For me personally, I am very self-directed and I have a state school less than 5 miles away so I DIY’d it. Total cost came out to be less than $15k over the past two years and I received everything I needed.

I don’t think there’s a benefit to one way or the other in terms of the ADCOMS’ views, it’s more what works for you. I’m doing a formal post-bac program because I decided that would work best for me - I liked the formal advising support, priority registration, etc. But plenty of people go the DIY route. It is indeed MUCH less expensive, although sometimes it can be difficult to get the classes you want depending on your registration status. So that is something to look into if you go that way.

As far as registration goes, I know for me I am pretty much at the same level with the post-baccs at my school.

For comparison, my post-bacc (non-certificate) was about $16,000 for ONE year (tuition) …plus the cost to me of living and not working that year as it was full-time.

Worked great for me to get the credits within a short timeframe, with lots of support.

Kate

Once you visit potential schools and advisors, you’ll get a feel for the programs. Once you apply, you’ll find out about financial aid (and there is some!) After that, I think you’ll instinctively know where you will be most successful. Ideally, I would have done the whole thing in a formal post-bacc with a good track record…but that wasn’t really an option.

I wasn’t able to move, so I visited the schools within driving distance that had formal and DIY programs. I talked to the Dean of Admissions at my school of choice and asked her advice. My actual plan started with a JuCo, then a one year post-bacc, then a la carte at a state school.

The most important thing, in my opinion, is to come up with a plan that’s logical and that sets you up to be successful. Then stick to your plan.