Pre MD-PhD Research Value During Glide Year(s)

Help! I’m looking to see if anyone has any worldly advice or opinions on conducting research in the glide period before applying to MD-PhD programs.

Bit of history: I decided to complete a second bachelors instead of a post-bac program. I graduated in May (yea!) and am scheduled to take the MCAT’s in August. I’m currently participating in a summer clinical research internship for undergrads. My PI has offered me a position as a research assistant after the summer, but would like a 2 year commitment.

The Question: As a 38-yr old non-trad, do you think the research experience (and high probability of multiple publications) out weighs delaying the application process? Yes, I’ve already waited this long, so another year delay may not matter, and at the same time, MD-PhD programs are so long, getting started sooner and focusing my time on post-docs instead of pre-docs may be the better route. (Side note- it’s an international lab, so there is a bit of a language and cultural barrier, but they’re warming up to me and starting help me more each day, but will still require independent learning on many techniques).

I could also then not take the MCAT’s in Aug, spend more time preparing, and take it in one of the spring slots, thus an early applicant, instead of a late applicant.

I’m overwhelmed with the decision and would love to hear what others think.

• crazyfun Said:
Help! I'm looking to see if anyone has any worldly advice or opinions on conducting research in the glide period before applying to MD-PhD programs.

Bit of history: I decided to complete a second bachelors instead of a post-bac program. I graduated in May (yea!) and am scheduled to take the MCAT's in August. I'm currently participating in a summer clinical research internship for undergrads. My PI has offered me a position as a research assistant after the summer, but would like a 2 year commitment.

The Question: As a 38-yr old non-trad, do you think the research experience (and high probability of multiple publications) out weighs delaying the application process? Yes, I've already waited this long, so another year delay may not matter, and at the same time, MD-PhD programs are so long, getting started sooner and focusing my time on post-docs instead of pre-docs may be the better route. (Side note- it's an international lab, so there is a bit of a language and cultural barrier, but they're warming up to me and starting help me more each day, but will still require independent learning on many techniques).

I could also then not take the MCAT's in Aug, spend more time preparing, and take it in one of the spring slots, thus an early applicant, instead of a late applicant.

I'm overwhelmed with the decision and would love to hear what others think.

My opinion is that there's no reason to put off your dreams.

The value of the MD-PhD is getting on the fast-track into basic research and academia. You will already get pubs from the PhD, so getting any in the next two years won't have much of an added effect for your time spent.

But are you a competitive MD/PhD applicant? From my own research into these programs, the mean GPA (from ALL ugrad classes) is 3.8-3.9, and the average MCAT is 35. If you don't believe you're up to snuff, then those pubs may be worthwhile to you as a MD.

Thank you again RxnMan for your thoughts. I do believe I am competitive (GPA 3.9, medical industry related experience, MCATs to be determined), although my research and publications are from a small, low-profile university, and have been told that that doesn’t eliminate me from consideration, but definitely is questioned. So, I guess what I’m questioning is the value between a one year vs two at a high profile university.

I have mixed feelings at this point, but need to give the final decision to the PI by Monday. I guess it’s going to be a long weekend. Sigh.

• crazyfun Said:
...my research and publications are from a small, low-profile university, and have been told that that doesn't eliminate me from consideration, but definitely is questioned.

So, I guess what I'm questioning is the value between a one year vs two at a high profile university.

As I stated elsewhere, stats are the most important thing. Reputation might help your application, but it's nowhere near as important as GPA and MCAT. But I don't know how you can 'question' publications - pubs are all peer-reviewed, so writing an article, no matter where you do it from, is an accomplishment.

I've been a grad student, and one thing to understand is that your PI may not have your best interests in mind. A PI needs to publish or die, and lab techs require time and training to be useful. If you've proven your usefulness already, your PI may not want to invest that time in training your replacement. It is hard to hold onto a good tech. Remember to examine the source of advice and remember that their motives may not be yours.

Lastly, the best advice is from the source. Call up some MD/PhD program heads and see what they think. Give them the 10-second vignette of you and ask them if having more pubs would make you more competitive.

Heck, if you don't get in the first time, you can work for your boss while you reapply.