pre-med med school with 3 kids

Hi everyone, this is my first post in the forum. I’ve read through some of the post, and I thought about what a great website this is for people who are thinking about medical school at a later age. I’m 32 yrs. old and finishing my last year in an A.S. program with a radiologic science major. I started thinking about medical school immediately after being accepted into the rad tech program. But I always question my age and the fact that I have a family. Three beautiful little girls ages 6, 5, and 1 month. My wife supports me completely, but I wonder if it will take too much of a toll on my family to take on such a challenge. I truly want to be a physician. I beat myself up thinking about the past. Why didn’t I do it after high school? What was I thinking 14 yrs. ago? Those kind of questions come up in my thinking from day to day. Am I being selfish if I dedcide to give it a shot?

hi there and welcome to old pre meds. You are among kindred spirits.

I put a posting about this a while back and if you search for it you may find it. But to give you some hope, I am about to graduate medical school and I have 4 girls (9, 7, 4, and 8 mo). All this while my wife was working from home.

If you cannot find the posting, let me know, but look for it as I put a lot of detail into it. It is very doable and difficult. The most difficult thing I have ever done. But knowing that I am going to be the physician that I have always wanted to be, is a great feeling.

Good luck and welcome.

By the way, if you can, try to go to the conference in Las Vegas and bring your wife. There will be a panel of spouses and a talk about doing medical school with a family.