Premed burnout

Hello Everyone,

Would anyone mind giving me advice on how to bounce back from a burnout and loss of motivation?

I remember starting out doing so well when I began taking pre-med courses. However, after a while I started to slack off and at the same time I feel like quitting. Deep down inside I want to continue and finish taking all necessary courses but I don’t know how to get myself motivated again. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

I’ve tried to study through the breaks to get ahead and in general it’s paid off. But I think it’s critical to take a few days, maybe even a week or two if possible, to relax and take your mind off school. I once saw this as a negative in the “more is more” premed tendency, but then I realized studying is a lot like running. Even when training for a marathon, you need days for recovery. Provided it’s not over indulgence, think of a little down time as a way to recharge and come back stronger. Focus on the end product and your desire to become a physician and realize that this is a temporary situation you’ll get past!

Guitardan is exactly right, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Keep the finish line in mind and realize you’ll make it there, as long as you keep moving forward. I couldn’t agree more with taking a break. I started this semester basically spending any “free” time reviewing, studying, etc. When spring break rolled around, I did some volunteer work but didn’t crack a book and it felt great to breath again. Find ways to refresh and recharge or you’ll burn out. This holds true in other areas of life as well.

Hi etam

well I would say the there are two things to consider here. First the physical aspect. Perhaps your workload is too heavy. Remember that you must set a pace that you can sustain in the long run. If you are exhausting yourself, it is not good for you nor for your grades. So it works against your end goal.

Second, the psychological aspect. The big prize in the end is still far (being an MD or entering med school). Perhaps you should set some mini-prizes for you along the way as a way to motivate you. For instance, if you get an A in whatever class, buy yourself this phone you wanted or this pair of shoes. Or invite someone you like for a date etc… Treating yourself every now and then is a good way to be motivated.

For myself, if I get into med school, I will buy myself this car I have always wanted. Frankly, one of the ugliest car on earth, a 1980s mercedes diesel. These cars are so ugly, even if you wanted to design a car uglier than that, you can’t. But they have the best engine ever built. I just want one and will buy one if I get in. So this is a very good motivation for me. The car is a few thousand bucks and it may seem silly, but given the cost of medical education, investing a bit in your own psychological comfort is not a loss, to the contrary!

Hang in there.

I FEEL THE SAME!

Rule 1: Take a Breath.

I mean that literally. Breath in and let it out slowly. You will or should do this half a dozen times a day, especially for days like your having This is my first rule for anyone considering becoming a physician.

• etam_OMD Said:
Hello Everyone,

Would anyone mind giving me advice on how to bounce back from a burnout and loss of motivation?

I remember starting out doing so well when I began taking pre-med courses. However, after a while I started to slack off and at the same time I feel like quitting. Deep down inside I want to continue and finish taking all necessary courses but I don't know how to get myself motivated again. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

As you go through the process of recouping your motivation try to learn from the experience, magnify it 10x, and expect it again in medschool.

There are going to be numerous occasions in med school when you feel like giving up and you'll have to learn how to cope with those moments and keep forging ahead. Otherwise....'nuff said!