Prereqs full-time

I heard back from one the schools I’m interested in today. They said that my prereqs are good forever! But they also said that if I haven’t taken a full time course load within the past 3 years I should do at least one semester full time to show the adcomm that I can handle school. :frowning: What are your thoughts on this?

I finished grad school in 2009. I won’t be applying until 2014. Taking a full course load doesn’t really fit in my schedule or my budget. I could probably take 2 classes a semester but I don’t thing I can swing 3 classes financially. I thought about taking 2 upper level sciences at a 4 year school and then a foreign language at a community college for a semester…but even foreign language classes have labs now! I’ve already taken anatomy and physiology 1 and 2, microbiology, nutrition, growth and development. I guess I could take neurobiology, immunology, pathology, or a molecular bio class. Ideally I’d like to find another science class w/o a lab.

My plan (subject to change at any second)

Spring 2013

Organic 1

Summer 2013

Organic 2

Fall 2013

Genetics

Physics 2

Some other science class OR foreign language

Spring 2014

MCAT

Go away FUD!

Hey Corewr!

Yea, I’m kinda of in the same situation. Currently taking no more than 8 credits per semester (I work full time). I’ve asked myself and even “strategized” how I can drop to PT or even PRN so that I can take at least one full semester load which out here in TX is about 12 credits worth.

It doesn’t make much sense since a “full load” in most med schools is around 24 credits of mind bending lecture and labs! I guess one thing that you can do is save up some money, continue to work full time, ask for financial assistance from your schools and employers (FAFSA and Tuition reimbursement), and do your best to plan on taking one semester of 15 or so credits to show the adcoms that you can hang…at least that’s my strategy as of present time.

Keep me posted as to what you decide and how you do. I plan to do the same.

Cheers!

The more you can mimic and succeed under the typical heavy medical school courseload, the more convinced medical school admissions committees will be of your ability to handle medical school.

Most people, though, don’t have the time nor the money to take 26+ graduate semester hours per semester. So, just do your best to achieve in the most challenging courseload you can reasonably take.

• Julio Cesar Said:

It doesn't make much sense since a "full load" in most med schools is around 24 credits of mind bending lecture and labs! ... best to plan on taking one semester of 15 or so credits to show the adcoms that you can hang...

the rule of thumb (ie the general perception of what adcoms want) is for nontrads to have at least one full-time semester of undergraduate course work. You do not have to try and take a "simulated" course load that would be found in medical school to fulfill this.

Also remember that this is one piece of an overall application. So if your logistics, budget, family obligations, etc dont allow it, dont get "FUD'd" all over it. Depending in the rest of your academic and MCAT record, it I would rate this a minor negative.

On the other hand, as someone has previously noted, if you are doing a DIY PB, most schools have a flat fee once you reach full time status (usually 12 credits). So it can be cost effective to take a full term of classes for some, though I wouldn't recommend 4 hard science classes at the same time. I took 17 credits one term (while working from home with a flexible schedule) but that included, intro to US Health Policy, intro to psychology, microbio, molecular neurobio, and physics. But then again I am an oddball who found physics to one of the easiest things to do.
  • gonnif Said:
Also remember that this is one piece of an overall application. So if your logistics, budget, family obligations, etc dont allow it, dont get "FUD'd" all over it. Depending in the rest of your academic and MCAT record, it I would rate this a minor negative.

Agreed... I work full time, and I am the primary income earner in my family. A full time course load was never an option. So, while not ideal, I am working hard to ensure that everything else overshadows this detail. I made sure to maintain a 4.0 gpa... I'll have a cumulative gpa of about 3.89 (from my orginal bachelor's and my post-bac work), and I hope to score in the 30s on my MCAT. I also intend to spin my schedule in the last year as a huge positive and evidence that I can multi-task and handle rigor. I may not have been in class full time, but I was taking 8 hours of courses at night, volunteering in a busy ED, working 45 hours a week in a business analyst type role, sustaining a volunteer ministry that takes at least 10 hours a week, and keeping my husband and kids from jumping off the deep end.

So no... not full time school. But VERY full time, nonetheless. (Overtime, most weeks. ) It's all in how you spin it. I would just do the most you can, and don't worry too much about the rest!

I appreciate everyone’s comments. I’m single and I have no family obligations. My schedule right now is pretty light, just work and volunteering a few hours a week. I’m taking 2 health IT classes online that I got a scholarship for. I have a work from home job right now but the hours aren’t very flexible. There’s one state university here but most of the science classes are only offered once a day and not both in the fall and spring semesters. I planning on moving near the end of the summer. I need to be near a state school (or 2-3 schools) that has alot of course options. Hopefully I’ll find a part time job as a research rn and maybe prn at a hospital.

I know that it can be done. I’ve read so many stories like carrieliz’s who are the primary earner and have children. If they can succeed with so many demands, then I should be able to too since it’s just me.

Oh, I just got an email from another med school that said taking the prereqs part time is not a problem. :slight_smile:

I found that working part time or at least PRN offers a great deal of flexibility; sometimes with employment benefits. Just don’t shoot yourself in the food and get into an expensive apartment lease for a year (speaking from experience, lol).

This way you can make enough money to pay for classes, food, and gas. It helps if you live super close to campus, or if you don’t mind roommates but honestly, who wants roommates at our age anyway???

You may even be able to add a class (pending your free time with research and volunteering). I think that a lot of people would kill to be in your shoes.

You’re on the right track. Remember to pace yourself, you got this!!!

Cheers!

• corewr Said:
I heard back from one the schools I'm interested in today. They said that my prereqs are good forever! But they also said that if I haven't taken a full time course load within the past 3 years I should do at least one semester full time to show the adcomm that I can handle school. :-( What are your thoughts on this?

I finished grad school in 2009. I won't be applying until 2014. Taking a full course load doesn't really fit in my schedule or my budget. I could probably take 2 classes a semester but I don't thing I can swing 3 classes financially. I thought about taking 2 upper level sciences at a 4 year school and then a foreign language at a community college for a semester...but even foreign language classes have labs now! I've already taken anatomy and physiology 1 and 2, microbiology, nutrition, growth and development. I guess I could take neurobiology, immunology, pathology, or a molecular bio class. Ideally I'd like to find another science class w/o a lab.

My plan (subject to change at any second)

Spring 2013

Organic 1

Summer 2013

Organic 2

Fall 2013

Genetics

Physics 2

Some other science class OR foreign language

Spring 2014

MCAT

Go away FUD!

Hey corewr,

I will be applying in 2014 as well, but it seems that I have more prerequisite coursework to complete than you do. I recently attended a premedical conference put on by my state school, and honestly my number one allopathic choice, and they also suggested taking a prerequisite course-load that would suggest that I am capable of handling a med school curriculum. The adcom said that this, along with other things such as MCAT, can go a long way in the decision making process of who has shown the ability to handle heavy course-loads...not all that dissimilar than that of medical school. That said, here is how I am taking my prerequisite coursework:

Summer '12

Microbiology

Trigonometry

Fall '12

Physics I

Organismic Biology

Chemistry II

Latin 105 (Medical Terminology)

Spring '13

Human anatomy & Physiology (8 credit hours)

Child & Adolescent Psychology

Organic Chemistry I

Summer '13

Physics II

Fall '13

Organic Chemistry II

Organic Chemistry Lab

General Biochemistry

Genetics

Spring '14

Immunology w/lab

Developmental Biology

Cell Biology

MCAT First part of June

Apply for admission in the fall 2015!

I fortunately have a soon to be spouse that is willing to support me while I go through the process of taking my prerequisite coursework, which allows me to take such a heavy course-load. But, it looks like you have your schedule pretty well lined up for success. Best of luck...[!] and keep us all posted.

I wouldn’t think that taking just two rigorous courses per term would be a problem with med schools. Try to eventually work both genetics and immunology in. (A survey of MSII’s done a few years ago indciated that they wished that they had taken genetics and immuno prior to entering med school.)

Cheers,

Judy