Pressure

Hey gang,

I am about a month away from graduating from my Master’s program. I am taking two classes, trying to finish my thesis, and have a very demanding job. I am sure that the pressure has finally gotten to me.
Other than my boss, not being the best boss in the world to the point that I have sent resumes out to leave, one of my classes is getting to me. The amount of work that has to be done for this class is staggering.
My other class is putting me in a position that I have not been in since my UG days. I currently have a C average and need to get an A on my last exam. This is not a science class but an accounting class. And the exam is on 3 chapters. While I know how to do the work, I am getting nervous and I am afraid that the questions will ask me to journal the transactions, something that I am not the great at to being with.
MY thesis advisor does not like my introduction and I have to re-write it again.
I post ponned the MCAT until August and I cannot study with all this pressure. I feel like I want to rip out and cry.
Any suggestions on how to deal with this pressure. I think after 4 years of putting pressure on myself to get a good GPA (3.67 currently) that I have reached my breaking point.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Gabe

Hi there,
First of all, do you need the accounting class? If not, then drop it at this point or take an incomplete until you can get your thesis under control. You need to unload something so unload the accounting unless it is key to your graduation.
Second, can you take an extension to revise your thesis? This would give you more lattitude in doing a good job on this important document. If you are done with your research, then you should be able to do the revisions at a much slower pace. Look into this and discuss this with your thesis advisor.
You cannot do much about the job pressure. Most employers do not give breaks to students who work and study. This is one of the downsides to being a non-traditional student. If you have to unload somewhere, it has to be on the academic side.
Stop, take a deep breath. Look at your whole schedule and try to eliminate anything that you feel you cannot realistically finish within the allotted time. If you have to postpone MCAT again, do so. A year is not going to make that much of a difference and your sanity is at stake here.
Take some inventory and find small ways to destress even if it is only for an hour or two before you get back into the fray. The learning point here is that you have to allow yourself some breathing room. If not, you can end up making yourself sick from worry.
See what you can realistically do to unload yourself and make it happen. Good luck! We are all pulling for you.
Natalie

Thanks NAtalie,
My advisor has already talked about asking for a grade extension until September. I am hoping that it will not come to that.
As for accounting, it kinda sorta is necessary. Unless I drop it now and change my graduation date until February and retake it in the fall. I have not thought about that though.
The test covers three chapters and it is the last one, would it be foolish to drop it now so close to the end though?
Thanks for the advise, I am taking it into consideration.
Gabe

SCORED A 100% ON MY ACCOUNTING FINAL GIVING ME A B+ FOR THE SEMESTER!!!

I’M DONE!!!

TO DO:

FINISH WRITING THESIS

DEFEND THESIS

DONE!!!

I AM GRADUATING THIS MONDAY WITH A MASTERS IN BIOLOGY!!!

WOOOHOOOOOOO!

Congratulations!!!

Congratulations! Way to go!

Today, I graduate!!!

Gabe,
Enjoy the day! And just think, in a few years you can be walking that graduation line again . . . to get your medical degree!

Quote:

Today, I graduate!!!

Congratulations Gabe!!!

Congradulations!

thanks linda.
From your lips to God’s ears