Proper Etiquette while waiting on a reply

So, I have completed applications to Post Baccalaureate Programs in to both Goucher and Johns Hopkins. They have been in receipt of them for 22 days. I have not heard a word.

Is it improper etiquette to call or write? How long are they under consideration? How long before you receive a rejection letter? How long before you receive an acceptance?

Just sweating it a little, because if I need to spend more money, to get more official transcripts sent to another program to meet their application deadlines…I kind of need to know - in the case scenario of having been rejected. I just DO NOT want to be pushy or inappropriate. I know they accept applications at both schools all the way up until March 1st, so realistically, they may not make their final decisions until all applications have been received. But to be timely with another program, in case of rejection, means I have to pull together a couple more applications prior to that. Because of my lengthy academic history, and the different schools involved…getting transcripts can be rather costly…So if I am at least being invited to interview, I will hold off on putting together another application.

Anyone have experience in this area?

When you apply to schools, it is your responsibility to ensure that they have all of your credentials. You should call them and ask them if they are missing anything and if there is anything else that they need.

Then ask them how long could you roughly wait to hear about your application. There is nothing wrong with calling. Just not every day or every hour.

Thank you Gabe. I did receive emails from both schools stating that my application was “complete” and that it was with the Admissions Committee for review.

I will try a polite call today.

Hopefully a call will get you some info, but even if not, it’ll definitely show your interest to the programs. That counts.

I remember when my friends were anxiously waiting to hear back, they called no more than once every 2 or 3 weeks. They were sure to be courteous and thankful for the office members’ time.

“Please” and “thank you” go a long way. So much so that when my one of my friends finally got in,she stopped by the adcom office to say thank you— and the workers there remembered her for being their “favorite polite caller”

Thank you. I did “the polite call” yesterday, and did not make it specific to my application, but very general, about time lines and generalities of the admission process. The lady on the phone did recognize my name and let me know that my application was still with the admissions review committee.

It’s one of those cases where checking is good, but you also need to learn to sit on your hands a bit. Things take time. You’ve now confirmed that they have all your materials and they’re considering you. I wouldn’t call any more at all unless an inordinate amount of time passes. Thing is, at this point, there’s likely no news you can be given over the phone. And if they do give it to you over the phone, they’re going to call you with that information. The call you did this time was fine because it made sure that things were in order. But now that you know things are in order, further calls can’t do you any good.

Case in point: I was given advance knowledge that a PhD was going to accept me because the chair wanted to know I’d say yes to an acceptance before he shepherded my application through the process. I just checked a calendar. The period of time from the unofficial word to the official notification was 7-1/2 weeks. And by official acceptance, I mean the congratulations e-mail. It was nearly 10 weeks until I got the letter in the mail. This was for a very small program in a year with a high ratio of acceptances to applications (4 acceptances, ~30 applicants). And this represents the period of time after they knew I was going to be in the accepted column.

Of course, things happen more slowly in Louisiana than in the mid-Atlantic, so use that to adjust your calculations accordingly.