Questions for those who MADE IT

I really need advice from those of you who made it.

I am 31yrs old with a B.S in Chemistry and graduated 1999. GPA is above 3.5. Math/Science GPA is 3.7. I completed all my premed courses. During my college years I got accepted into and completed two premed preceptorships at the Uni. of Kansas school of medicine and Tulane school of medicine. I worked in mortgage after college b/c my family needed money from the passing of my father of cancer my senior year in college. My hunger for medicine is stronger than ever now that I am more mature and experience the pains of life.

My question. Do I have to retake any sciences courses for admission? I’m starting Kaplan MCAT test prep this May and am confident with my study skills to review the material needed for the MCAT.

Your advice is greatly appreciated and I admire all of you. Your posts and stories have really kept me confident in myself. I always thought it was too late, but reading your stories have allowed me to see that medschools don’t discriminate on age.

Talk to the school that you are very interested in applying to. Your situation may just require MCAT and that is all. But get the information right from the admissions director.

Good luck and welcome.

I also grad. in 1999 w/ B.S. in Forensic Sci/Chem. I didn’t have to re-take anything…

This question seems to be on a lot of non trad’s minds as it was on my mind when I decided to take pre-med classes. I had taken most of the med school pre-req classes more than 10 years ago. Aside from wanting to be fresh for the MCAT, I decided to retake all the pre-req classes because med school admissions is a competition. Whether that is a fair statement or not, it is…at least that’s how I saw it. And in a competition, I thought I would increase my chance of being viewed favorably by the adcom if my pre-reqs were taken just before applying rather than more than 10 years ago. Perhaps it worked out for others without having to retake them. But, this is just how I approached it. It made sense to me…

Good luck!

Good approach, ocwaveoc!

Eric, don’t forget the third option-- UPPER-LEVEL science courses that are relevant to medical school will often satisfy the requirements of your school of interest and make you a competitive applicant. Some of these are:

Cell Biology

Molecular Biology

Biochemistry (a must)

Pharmacology and Toxicology

etc etc

Ahem…I graduated in 1985 w/ a BS in Electronics Engineering Technology. I was not required to retake anything, just to fulfill the other requirements (like Chem/O-Chem and the other science prereqs that I didn’t have as part of my degree like biology, etc.)…and I took those at a community college.

Currently finishing up my 3rd year with OB/Gyn shelf and peds left to go…

My advice - call the school you’re interested in the most and maybe 1 or two backups. Ask them what they want and then go get it. Be friendly.

• MattFugazi Said:
Eric, don't forget the third option-- UPPER-LEVEL science courses that are relevant to medical school will often satisfy the requirements of your school of interest and make you a competitive applicant. Some of these are:

Cell Biology

Molecular Biology

Biochemistry (a must)

Pharmacology and Toxicology

etc etc

I would totally agree with this. Just make sure that you feel comfortable with the prereqs because it may effect your MCAT. You don't have to retake all of them, but say you don't feel as confident in organic chemistry (usually a prereq for biochem), take that first and then take biochem.