Re-application Blues (Long rant...caution)

I am stuck. I am trying once again, to write my PS. Although I think the last one was good, I don’t want to use last years again. I just feel like the rejection process has changed me and I need to start fresh.
Problem is I am having a terrible time feeling good about the new drafts. I worked hard on the last one, and it was good. This has nothing to do with my desire to be a doctor, I am just sick and tired of trying to convince a bunch of strangers that I measure up. I have been working on this for five years now, over the hoops, through the coursework, three kids, etc, etc.
My intentions are pure and true. My drive is hard and not to be broken. I have decent grades and I am willing to make the saccrifices and do the work. I just need someone, anyone, to believe in me.
Part of my frustration is in cruising SDN and reading posts from snot-nosed brats who cringe at the thought of having to do a rectal exam or worry about whether or not there are hot girls/guys in med school to “hook up” with. They wonder what kind of car their new salary will buy, and they need a roomate to share the house that their parents are buying for them while they go to med school. They have their volunteer experiences all in writing, but as a mom I have dealt with puke, poop, blood, urine, tears - you name it, I’ve done it. That isn’t what this is about to me and I tire of the crass nature of the remarks of those who are sitting with 6 or 7 acceptances in hand. I know, I know, life isn’t fair…but this process is down right rediculous.
I apologize up front to any of you who may get discouraged by my remarks. I just need to get some of this off my chest. I’m frustrated and a bit discouraged myself. My reapplication isn’t for sure yet - I am on a waiting list and am still waiting to hear back about an interview. However, I realize that in this competitive game, I cannot let the new app. cycle slip by in the event that I end up flat out rejected and once again dealing with secondaries, LORs, etc.
To any of you who are still reading, thanks a bunch. I know this wasn’t the nicest post that has been put up, nor the most productive. If anyone has suggestions on how to get past the frustration of reapplying, I’d love to hear your story. It just occurred to me that maybe I am going through the “anger” part of the greiving process? I really did not anticipate such a tough year with my applications.
Angie

Have you talked with Judith Colwell? I bet she could look at your app and let you know where or how you can make it better.
It may cost you some money but it would be well worth it. My wife was an english major in college and she helped me with my essays. I asked some of my colleagues for advice on my app too ( I’m an RN ). You may have desire and drive and a great attitude but what you send in writting speaks for you and paints a picture of you. Hang in there you’ll make it. Many OPM’s didn’t get in the first time too. Don’t give up!
Bill

This will sound harsh, and I apologize for that. I have not applied at all yet, but I think you have already pinpointed one part of your problem right now.
When you are feeling discouraged and bitter and perhaps old, stay the heck away from SDN. Seriously. I have not found it to be the home of the Happy Attitude. Whether the little snots are really holding seven acceptances or are making it all up is not even important. It’ll burn you up to read about it either way. Turn off the computer and go take a walk with your kids. Then sit down under a tree somewhere quiet and get in touch with your real life and your real reasons for doing this.

Angie -
This will sound very 'psycho-babble-ish" BUT I think it is probably hard to commit to re-application, especially writing another PS before you know the outcome of this cycle. I can not advise you one way or the other, but I think if you knew it was a no…you would get yourself ready and be on it…because of the drive you have…that you speak of so well…that…OPM’ers understand!!
The hoops are huge and looking at the admission process it is incredibly easy to feel like you can not measure up. BUT again it is about keeping the faith in yourself and your goal as long as you can stand to.
I agree that many parts of SDN are to be avoided.
Hang in there.
Michelle

I am a re-applicant. Last year I applied to only 3 schools and was rejected by all of them. One of them waited until the last minute.
I re-applied. The ONLY thing I changed was my personal statement. On a dear prof’s advice I wrote it from a completely different standpoint. The same prof helped me hone it and it was a superior document to the first. Do enlist the assistance of someone with literary acumen.
This year, I applied to 5 schools, was accepted by 3, rejected by 1 and I think my app is lost in limbo at another. 2 of the 5 schools were looking at my application a second time, as a re-applicant. The one that waited until the last minute last year accepted me this year. I called the office before I re-applied, and they looked over my file and encouraged me to re-apply. They re-interviewed me and actually told me that I should/could have been accepted, that my application was good enough last year (out-of-staters are welcome, but of lower priority). This made me confident enough to re-apply, though this time with a wider net.
I’m living proof, a little good natured determination pays off in this gamble.
wmkayak

Thank you all very much! You are right, I need to stay away from SDN and just keep working toward my goal.
Actually, all my ranting last night is no longer an issue. I guess patience had worn thin after the 11 1/2 month wait since I actually submitted my med school applications. I got this message in my inbox just a little while ago:
"Dear Angela:
Congratulations! On behalf of the Dean of the College and the Admissions Committee, I am pleased to offer you admission to the College of Osteopathic Medicine for the Class of 2008. Orientation will be held August 2, 3, 4 and 5 with classes beginning August 9, 2004."
I’m going to be a doctor!!!
Angie

WHOOHOOOOOOO!!!
What a happy ending!

Wooooo-hoooooo! What a great ending! When I read your post this morning all I could do was nod in sympathy - as I got to May 15, and past it, while lounging around on the waitlist, I kept telling myself that I needed to work on my PS. And I just couldn’t do it. So when I got in (on May 18, not that I remember or anything ) my SECOND thought was, "Oh thank God I do not have to write another PS!!"
Congratulations, Dr. Angie!!

WOW!!! That is SOOOOO wonderful. I am so happy for you. Many congrats!!!
What school will you be going to ?

Congratulations! What great news to know that you don’t have to go through the whole application process again, and you’ll be on your way this fall. Good luck to you!
Stephanie

I’m so glad you got in! I am also glad you did rant. You needed to get that tension out of your system. It is hard to hold on to that stuff for a long period time. After the rant and after the acceptance, I hope you got a really good night’s sleep.

How about that!!!
I am so happy for you!!! Congratulations!
Michelle

Thanks, everyone! The first thing I did was dumped my PS file! I am so glad I don’t have to do that again.
I will be going to Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine. I loved the school when I was there for my interview. I really felt at home. It is also nice because I have family just about 1/2 hour from Des Moines, and my parents will live closer than they do now - which will be nice b/c of the kids.
I plan to defer my entrance for one year after I get all the paperwork done. My baby is coming via c-section 9 days before orientation starts. Even though I am not starting this fall, I am SOOOOOO glad that I don’t have to reapply. Things are set now!
Thank you all for your kind words and support.
Angie
DMUCOM Class of 2009

My sincerest CONGRATULATIONS! A fellow DO to be! Now you need to add your name to the growing list of OPMers in the Class of 2008.

Very cool! Congratulations!!
Cheers,
Judy

Just got an acceptance to University of Iowa today! I guess I picked a good year to be on the alternate list there, since it seems to be moving quite rapidly.
I have decided (after much deliberation) to attend U of I instead of DMU. I would have been quite happy at DMU, but Iowa gives me the option of a five year plan in the event that I decide I need to spend more time with my little ones (they will be 1, 4, and 5 when I start). I will also save $44K in tuition and have more opportunities to earn $$ while in school. Thanks to all of you who have been rooting for me on this. In March I thought all was hopeless, and now I ended up with two acceptances. Thanks for letting my "cry on your shoulders."

Angie
Going to University of Iowa next year!!!

Woohoo! Double congratulations!

Angie, congratulations! You’ve made a wise choice, too, that gives you as much flexibility as possible. You may find that you don’t need it - but Murphy’s Law says that you definitely would need it if you didn’t have it.

When it rains, it pours…here in a good way. Good for you!!!

Congratulations Angie! It’s funny how things can seem so dark, and then you get what you want (same thing happened to me). Yay!
Pam