Read the Old too old for medschool

Read Old : Too old for Medschool at 32!!! Yeah what bull, of course this was from an advisor from a Uni. Its such a shame for them to be paid to give such advice, its worthless, this person went back after working for a few years and has a undergrad of 3.7 Uh they were told by the Advisor too old and it is a “PipeDream” This is on another web site I’m a mod so I told them no way and that they have a good shot, only Orgo left to take so really they could be applying in a year if they can take the MCAT. Buts thats the way it still is out there, Paid advisors to advise cannot give good advice just tell people only 22 year olds go to medschool…Yeah then what am I doing in Medschool at 42?

• whuds Said:
Read Old : Too old for Medschool at 32!!!! Yeah what bull, of course this was from an advisor from a Uni. Its such a shame for them to be paid to give such advice, its worthless, this person went back after working for a few years and has a undergrad of 3.7 Uh they were told by the Advisor too old and it is a "PipeDream" This is on another web site I'm a mod so I told them no way and that they have a good shot, only Orgo left to take so really they could be applying in a year if they can take the MCAT. Buts thats the way it still is out there, Paid advisors to advise cannot give good advice just tell people only 22 year olds go to medschool..............Yeah then what am I doing in Medschool at 42?

My God, they would think that I'm ancient as I'm 42 now, I'll be 43 when I take the MCAT and 44 if not 45 going into Med School.

I actually think that it would benefit students interested in medicine to actually take a break in between their studies and actually get some life experience. They may find themselves actually being able to relate to their patients better.

I really think that I will be a better doctor as a non-trad student than if I went directly from high school.

Krisss17

Was it in Florida? Same exact thing happened to me with the same “Pipedream”. I’m still in the pipe waiting to get to the dream…or is that nightmare of med school…

My wife is applying for work and there were a few advisor positions…it’s sad who they chose. My wife with no experience was offered a position which she turned down. Too many of these people who claim to be advising do no more than read out of some 20 year old manual about what it takes to get into a profession.

There are so many who are steering students into the PA profession. Not that there is anything wrong with being a PA but convincing students that going into it because “You’ll be just like a doctor but with more free time and less debt” is asinine. I would hate to find out I’m a 40 year old who now realizes that I made a mistake and medical school is what I wanted but now am even deeper in school debt and can’t pursue it.

Oh yeah you just brought up a pet peeve, nothing wrong with PA just you have to be happy not being the Doc in this idea, some are, I would not…

Not to hijack the thread but what is so wrong in wanting or needing to be the doctor? I frequent a PA forum and it astounds me how there is some nobility in stating that “I chose PA because I don’t need to be in charge…”

What’s wrong with wanting the buck to stop with me? What’s wrong with also wanting those initials that say MD/DO? I’m not talking about some ego trip but about being the go to person. I’ve been playing 3rd, 4th… fiddle for years.

While I’m on another pointless tirade…what’s the deal with assuming you could make it thru medical school because “you’re smart too”??? As if brains were all it took to make it thru med school…

I guess I’m just a bit testy this morning after having a tech who works in my program decide they’re going to PA school and thus began her inseption into the clan of self-righteousness that befalls some of those who chose PA over MD… Well actually what I’ve found is those who chose PA weren’t accepted to med school. Some could’ve been but it was either become a US allopathic doctor or not a doctor at all. So they’ll take a PA degree from George Washington U but not a DO from West Virginia? Talk about a false dilemma…

Anyway I’ve gotten it out of my system. Sorry but thanks for the time.

I understand completely…for me, if I am going to pursue something, I will go for the top. That is just who I am. I am not knocking all the other possibilities in the healthcare field. Everyone is needed. However, not everyone wants what I want.

Hey it’s ok some of these people over compensate for not doing what they really want to do, Don’t worry, I may or you may run into them as you give them orders!

• whuds Said:
Hey it's ok some of these people over compensate for not doing what they really want to do, Don't worry, I may or you may run into them as you give them orders!

Orders?! You give orders to subordinates....all health-care "providers" are created equal. You can recommend what you want done but never "order"..... For shame...for shame!!!

LOL that was a good one…Doctor’s orders are the end of the line and must be followed unless there is a very good reason, coming from an RN here… You can loose your butt if you do not follow them!

• croooz Said:
What's wrong with wanting the buck to stop with me? What's wrong with also wanting those initials that say MD/DO? I'm not talking about some ego trip but about being the go to person. I've been playing 3rd, 4th... fiddle for years.

Not a damned thing wrong with it anymore than is there anything wrong with not wanting to be a Doc. It is all in who you are & what your goals are. Too bad there is a falsely perceived sense of competition b/t physicians & mid-level providers. Both professions exist, neither will be going away & we could accomplish a hell of lot more if we worked together to define our boundries. Even worse, if we continue this incessant in-fighting, the lawyers & the MBAs will be more than happy to impose their conceived notions of those limits upon both professions & you can bet your ass that what they choose to set will not fall in our favor!

• croooz Said:
While I'm on another pointless tirade.....what's the deal with assuming you could make it thru medical school because "you're smart too"??? As if brains were all it took to make it thru med school...

It takes a hell of a lot more than brains to survive med school. It takes a TON of want to, nose-to-the-grindstone & almost blind dedication. And, after you finish med school, you are just 1/2 way there...residency is just as hard - if not harder - but in a different way.
  • whuds Said:
Read Old : Too old for Medschool at 32!!!! Yeah what bull, of course this was from an advisor from a Uni. Its such a shame for them to be paid to give such advice, its worthless, this person went back after working for a few years and has a undergrad of 3.7 Uh they were told by the Advisor too old and it is a "PipeDream" This is on another web site I'm a mod so I told them no way and that they have a good shot, only Orgo left to take so really they could be applying in a year if they can take the MCAT. Buts thats the way it still is out there, Paid advisors to advise cannot give good advice just tell people only 22 year olds go to medschool..............Yeah then what am I doing in Medschool at 42?

I actually had an interesting conversation with the health insurance agent who set up my new ins plan today about that very topic. He said he was actually told by a counselor who was about to retire (who therefore didn't care if the cat was out of the bag) that counselors are NOT paid to help you get the classes you need to graduate, get your degree, move on to professional/graduate school, etc...they are paid to convince you to take whatever classes that will keep you from graduating so they keep you enrolled and therefore make more money off you.

Now don't get me wrong, I already think counselors are idiots and I doublecheck everything they say and I suggest everyone else does the same since these people are never going to care as much about you as you do, but I found this tidbit quite enlightening as to why counselors seem to know so little about what you do need to graduate. In short, don't listen to them.

WOW and all the crap I put up with going to the Caribbean, I have always said the US system stinks anyway and that the Post Bac and increased Competitiveness has an advantage for the same UNI’s who have these programs with the Medschools. So they make you spend $1000’s more on another degree and then more on apps, you see as a whole all the UNI’s make out they reel you in with the automatic secondaries, It gives some hope and time to plan for plan B, along with Bashing the Caribbean route, yeah I do not think it is any kind of conspiracy but you have to admit to continue this way is profitable for the UNI’s ( I know some will say the UNI’s do not make lots of money and some are NONPROfit, well my school is nonprofit too SJSM and I have worked for nonprofits, let me tell ya they want to make money to pay the employees well and improve it’s the way of the world)

this is my opinion so do not get too upset.

I’m a little of rebel at heart ( From Georgia LOL)

• OldManDave Said:
  • croooz Said:
What's wrong with wanting the buck to stop with me? What's wrong with also wanting those initials that say MD/DO? I'm not talking about some ego trip but about being the go to person. I've been playing 3rd, 4th... fiddle for years.

Not a damned thing wrong with it anymore than is there anything wrong with not wanting to be a Doc. It is all in who you are & what your goals are. Too bad there is a falsely perceived sense of competition b/t physicians & mid-level providers. Both professions exist, neither will be going away & we could accomplish a hell of lot more if we worked together to define our boundries. Even worse, if we continue this incessant in-fighting, the lawyers & the MBAs will be more than happy to impose their conceived notions of those limits upon both professions & you can bet your ass that what they choose to set will not fall in our favor!

• croooz Said:
While I'm on another pointless tirade.....what's the deal with assuming you could make it thru medical school because "you're smart too"??? As if brains were all it took to make it thru med school...

It takes a hell of a lot more than brains to survive med school. It takes a TON of want to, nose-to-the-grindstone & almost blind dedication. And, after you finish med school, you are just 1/2 way there...residency is just as hard - if not harder - but in a different way.

Good to see you chime in OLDMAN DAVE!

Yeah I know about the Fortitude now. I know about the long hours ( in the middle of them now studying Path and Immuno) Yes it takes some brains, some determination, and a lot of sacrifice, we say you will have a life, well you will but you also give some of the play time up doing this, this becomes incorporated into you way of life and it's a good thing if you love it the way I do and you do!

I know and Believe the Money will be there too to pay off for this, there are many ways to make money as a DOC and have a good living, I think the large amounts of the loan money scares many but really it's a drop in the Bucket when looking at years of income and happiness cause you get to do what few do and what you love.

• whuds Said:
WOW and all the crap I put up with going to the Caribbean, I have always said the US system stinks anyway and that the Post Bac and increased Competitiveness has an advantage for the same UNI's who have these programs with the Medschools. So they make you spend $1000's more on another degree and then more on apps, you see as a whole all the UNI's make out they reel you in with the automatic secondaries, It gives some hope and time to plan for plan B, along with Bashing the Caribbean route, yeah I do not think it is any kind of conspiracy but you have to admit to continue this way is profitable for the UNI's ( I know some will say the UNI's do not make lots of money and some are NONPROfit, well my school is nonprofit too SJSM and I have worked for nonprofits, let me tell ya they want to make money to pay the employees well and improve it's the way of the world)

this is my opinion so do not get too upset.

I'm a little of rebel at heart ( From Georgia LOL)

So you go to a Carribean med school Whuds? How is it over there, such as weather, cirriculum, etc.? Reason I ask is when it comes time to applying, I'll probably throw in a Carib school as a backup and just curious about if they're any different outside the dream weather.

No problem I try not to over promote the Caribbean, just because it is not first choice but I do on occasion bring it up as a choice since for some it is the only way ( It was for me)

There are the Big 4 SGU, AUC, ROSS and SABA they have California Approval thus all 50 states are possible then there are the rest like My School (SJSM, seems like about 48 possible to practice in )

The curriculum is very close to US style, we have 4 semesters, one right after another so it takes 18 months to get through instead of 24 months. for Basic Science, then Clinicals are a solid 2 years.

Most take one semester off (4 months) to study and take the USMLE, yes a little more time then US students, I will study for it hard core May 07 to end of July 07 then take it first week of Aug. then Begin clinicals, I can once I take it, start with electives in Georgia.

I have a sallie mae loan.

No MCAT at this time is needed for my school also, I know that is interesting but they do not have to require the MCAT outside the USA, in fact some of the BIG 4 will accept students without it too from time to time.

The Island is awesome, weather great here (average temp year round is 82 with trade winds) Hurricane free zone Island and some of the best diving in the world (Bonaire)

The off-shore schools have so much better scheduling flexibility. I don’t understand why mainland schools are so rigid about their academic schedule. If there were an option to begin medical school in January, I would probably have taken it–why wait an extra eight months if you don’t have to? Having the extra time to study for your boards sounds like an excellent bonus.

Cheers,

True but one thing is the down side too, the professors are not all US trained, the Competitive residencies (Not primary care ones ) are harder to get into, you spend 1.5 years away with short hops home. You are a Foreigner all the time while at school. ( I hate the students who mock the locals with "we don’t do it that way or in the US…"it’s not right and rude I think)

• whuds Said:
True but one thing is the down side too, the professors are not all US trained, the Competitive residencies (Not primary care ones ) are harder to get into, you spend 1.5 years away with short hops home. You are a Foreigner all the time while at school. ( I hate the students who mock the locals with "we don't do it that way or in the US......"it's not right and rude I think)

Well, it sounds like some parts of the Carib schools are better if they give you more scheduling flexibility and the weather is great. I'm sure the diving is the best in the world but do you ever have time to do any? That'd probably be my only hangup is whether it'd hurt when it came time to matching since I'd like to go into surgery, but other than that, sounds like a good deal.
  • croooz Said:
Not to hijack the thread but what is so wrong in wanting or needing to be the doctor? I frequent a PA forum and it astounds me how there is some nobility in stating that "I chose PA because I don't need to be in charge..."....

While I'm on another pointless tirade.....what's the deal with assuming you could make it thru medical school because "you're smart too"??? As if brains were all it took to make it thru med school.....

I guess I'm just a bit testy this morning after having a tech who works in my program decide they're going to PA school and thus began her inseption into the clan of self-righteousness that befalls some of those who chose PA over MD.... Well actually what I've found is those who chose PA weren't accepted to med school. Some could've been but it was either become a US allopathic doctor or not a doctor at all. So they'll take a PA degree from George Washington U but not a DO from West Virginia? Talk about a false dilemma...

Anyway I've gotten it out of my system. Sorry but thanks for the time.

Great post and entertaining too!