Real stats for the Caribbean

Thanks Mary. I wasn’t sure what qualified vs “qualified” meant but I does now.

Bill,

I guess it would interesting to see the stats of US or english speaking carib students vs others…but I guess that could be viewed a little insensitive on my part…

Naw Crooz it’s ok to wonder…but in some places in the US Clear English is not understood, Take Miami for instance, Spanish in some areas is the main language, heck even in NY I was at the Airport and the one guy taking the bags did not understand English and everyone else there thought that was normal…LOL I think they understand english better on Bonaire sometimes then in the USA in these places LOL Really…The kids here learn 3 languages in school. I think that is Awesome!

Bill,

I understand that because I’m from Miami. However being able to understand and to be understood by your fellow colleagues would be important…no? I understand having patients not understanding english and becoming irate that you “no speakee spaneeesh”. However residency is still teaching and not being able to have your instructions understood might pose a problem…or perhaps the perception that your orders won’t be understood.

Absolutely and being a “Red Blooded American” has a slight advantage if you can speak and write English well as far as a residency is concerned, to be honest in the end residency is a Job Interview…

• DRFP Said:
Absolutely and being a "Red Blooded American" has a slight advantage if you can speak and write English well as far as a residency is concerned, to be honest in the end residency is a Job Interview............

Exactly. Even at my admin job here we haven't hired people that otherwise were capable. On their resume/CV they were golden....however in person they stunk. I imagine the same goes for residency. I imagine it would be difficult for those with strong accents to overcome the perception that they will have a difficult time communicating.

2007 Match 15 out 18 from my school matched with 12 in the match and 3 outside the match not too bad ( yes we have small classes my class is 26. )

Better than Ross’ 500/class… Someone’s making a fortune and it ain’t the students.