Recent Newspaper Article with plug for OPM

• gonnif Said:
Cutting thru alot of the legalese, a section law below
  • DRFP Said:

(3) Notwithstanding the provisions of subparagraph (1)(f)3., a graduate of a foreign medical school need not present the certificate issued by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates or pass the examination utilized by that commission if the graduate:

(a) Has received a bachelor's degree from an accredited United States college or university.

(b) Has studied at a medical school which is recognized by the World Health Organization.

(c) Has completed all of the formal requirements of the foreign medical school, except the internship or social service requirements, and has passed part I of the National Board of Medical Examiners examination or the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates examination equivalent.

(d) Has completed an academic year of supervised clinical training in a hospital affiliated with a medical school approved by the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association and upon completion has passed part II of the National Board of Medical Examiners examination or the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates examination equivalent.

The above basically says if you have a USA Bachelor's, got to school that has an IMED/ECFMG listing (which doesn't take much to get), pass STEP I & II, and finish a year of residency you get can get a license

Yet the application the to the medical board reads

"International Medical Graduates: Must have completed at least two full progressive years of Submit a copy of the internship/residency training the Program Director of the training program, addressed to the Florida Board of Medicine, stating the Letters must verify completion of at least of two years of training."

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/medical/ap_me1501.p...

I think what this really means is that the only way to find out which schools are accepted by which states is a close examination of each state's med board info. Finding out if a school is IMED/ECFMG is easy. (Guess a long-term project is to put a page together on this)

BTW, NY state has similar laws but again, I will have to investigate and outline the whole process in order gauge what potential impact is on students from these schools.

I guess what I have concluded is once a Graduate from a school from the Caribbean does get Licensed in that state then it seems to say that the Boards accept a degree from that school. But and this is the the thing I think OMD and others are saying, this can be case by case and someone else from the school could be turned down, I think this is due to other factors though, because logically if they accept the degree from that school from someone else but turn down another, to me it says its not the degree but other factors more then likely.