Recommendation about Letters of Recommendation

Two pieces of news that are really a word to the wise:
1. I applied for med school on Wednesday night! Proofread the AMCAS twice, sent it in, went to bed, and immediately started dreaming that it had typos in it I thought I would devote the next month to gathering the necessary letters of recommendation.
2. AIYEEE! The first secondary application arrived TODAY. Forty-eight hours later. And of course they are requesting my premed committee letter. So don’t be a Matt-- get your letters of recommendation together before you apply.
It’s all good-- this is the fire I needed to light under myself to get this done.
Matt

I’m in the same predicament. I got my first secondary and they say they won’t even look at it until they get the letters of recommendation. So I email my premed adviser who is supposed to be working on the committee letter (I have all my letters turned in already), and he says, “We normally send the committee letters out in September or October.” Aren’t schools scheduling interviews then? Do they ever schedule an interview without the letters? Should I (very politely) try to get my adviser to get it done more quickly?
And to think–I was sure once I got my application submitted, I wouldn’t have anything else to worry about!

CUNY is the same way with the Sept.-Oct. thing: it must be a common policy. Look, if it really prevented people from getting in, they wouldn’t do this year after year. Take heart.

Quote:

Do they ever schedule an interview without the letters? Should I (very politely) try to get my adviser to get it done more quickly?

Nope, interviews aren’t scheduled without complete applications. You can certainly let your adviser know that you are already working on secondaries, and so you’ll very much appreciate it if your letter goes out as early as possible.
Mary