Rejection Thread

Pushkin,
I have to agree with readmenace. I know rejection letters are no fun, but for heaven’s sake, you’ve already got so many acceptances at really great schools, I have a hard time feeling sorry for you. My sympathy lies, instead, with those who are still waiting for that first, and maybe only, acceptance letter.
Best of luck to all of you still waiting. But if it doesn’t come, don’t give up. I didn’t give up . . . . and I got in the second time around and am now getting close to finishing my second year and taking boards!

No surpises here. Just took them forever to get the official word out.
Boeing (UGPA: 2.5, PBGPA: 4.0, MCAT: 33Q)
§ Mayo
§ Missouri-Columbia
§ Univ of New Mexico
(S) Univ of Wisconsin
(S) Medical College of Wisconsin
(S) OHSU
(S) Kansas
(S) Minnesota-Duluth
(S) Creighton
Pushkin
(S) Mayo
(S) UCSF
(S) Stanford
(N/A) U of Toronto
(N/A) 3 out of 4 schools applied to in the UK (ok, I never sent them my transcripts, but still.)
(I) Harvard
(waitlisted) Columbia
(S) Emory
(S) Yale
swy55 (UGPA 3.0 PG GPA 3.5 MCAT 31)
(S) Dartmouth
ex-lurker
§ Vandy
§ U of Washington
Troyoncello26
(S) SUNY Downstate
(S) Wash U.
rsmit9
(S) UPenn

I’m pretty sure Pushkin was kidding about feeling sorry for herself. Even if the rejections sting like heck, a little visit to the desk to stroke the acceptance letters should make everything all better.

I was most certainly kidding. Of course I do not really feel sorry for myself. My apologies if it sounded otherwise. But I think we all know that it is not fun to be rejected, for anything, at any time in life. In fact it does kind of sting to go to an interview, have cheerful and seemingly positive conversations with faculty and students, and then get a one page rejection letter with no explanation of what they didn’t like! This doesn’t mean that I’m not grateful for my overall good fortune.
Anyway, I just want to restate my hope that all of us will find the school that fits us best this upcoming fall!

Pushkin,
I’m just so seriously impressed with how well you’ve done.

I think you’re right readmeance; we may have to erect a statue of Pushkin on the website as “the most successful old pre med in history.”

I’m going to Las Vegas on Sunday - I’m going to have to ask her if she’ll come along. I’ll pay the money if she places the bets.

Thanks for the nice words! However, this is getting embarrassing.
Now remember, for every acceptance I’ve gotten, I’ve gotten a rejection. I’m waiting for one more response. And as we all know, the house always wins.

Quote:

I think you’re right readmeance; we may have to erect a statue of Pushkin on the website as “the most successful old pre med in history.”

Go Pushkin! But Efex also had a great set of acceptances last year. Maybe we should have a virtual “Most Successful Applicant” plaque instead of a statue.
SPN
Chicago/Minneapolis

I’m leaning towards the statue idea personally. That way those of us approaching application time can rub its stomach for luck. Feel free at this time to say EEWW!

No doubt, Efex had some GREAT choices too. But lets not forget NJBMD, with her PERFECT 6 out of 6 acceptances. Who’s EVER heard of such a thing??

>On the Hopkins Adoption list…
You know you’ve been spending too much time applying to medical school when you read that in a signature line and wonder if:
(a) The poster is waiting to adopt a child
(b) Hopkins has come up with yet another clever name for the dreaded “waitlist”.

Quote:

>On the Hopkins Adoption list…
You know you’ve been spending too much time applying to medical school when you read that in a signature line and wonder if:
(a) The poster is waiting to adopt a child
(b) Hopkins has come up with yet another clever name for the dreaded “waitlist”.

It’s not related to the current med school applicants at all. It’s in reference to my possible interest in transfering into the MD/PhD program for the class of 2006.

Not only did Efex have loads of acceptances, I seem to remember that she also had multiple free ride scholarship offers!

Well, I got rejected all the way around.
Stats: GPA: 3.109 BCPM: 3.09 MCAT 32Q
Rejected:
§ Wake Forest
(I) Chapel Hill
(I) ECU
I just talked to the Dean of Admissions at Chapel Hill, Dr. Hoole. He said the glaring issue was my gpa, and that he held my application until the end, but he just couldn’t get over the low gpa. He wants me to retake all of the prerequisites that I did poorly in (I assume that means any Bs or Cs), not to bring up the gpa, but to prove I have “staying power” and that I have “metamorphasized” into a disciplined student since my undergraduate days. Frustrating, but there it is.

Alison,
First of all, remember that many, many people have to apply more than once to get into medical school. I know I did! If you really want to become a doctor, don’t give up!

I took the advice of my boss and mentor when he told me to spread a wider net the second time around. In other words, apply to more schools. And the funny thing was that when I did just that, I got a lot more interviews and had a choice of where I wanted to go.
Good luck next time around!

Quote:

Well, I got rejected all the way around.
Stats: GPA: 3.109 BCPM: 3.09 MCAT 32Q
Rejected:
(P) Wake Forest
(I) Chapel Hill
(I) ECU
I just talked to the Dean of Admissions at Chapel Hill, Dr. Hoole. He said the glaring issue was my gpa, and that he held my application until the end, but he just couldn’t get over the low gpa. He wants me to retake all of the prerequisites that I did poorly in (I assume that means any Bs or Cs), not to bring up the gpa, but to prove I have “staying power” and that I have “metamorphasized” into a disciplined student since my undergraduate days. Frustrating, but there it is.

It wasn’t long ago that a student with yoru stats would have had a reasonable shot at UNC. But since the new dean came in a few years back, all that has changed as I hear breaking into the “top 20” is one of his main goals.
Although I went to grad school there, I hesitate to apply since there’s so much emphasis placed on undergrad performance. Still, it’s a great school for the money if you can get beyond the “numbers’” game being played there.