Requesting some input on my situation

I am a student-athlete going into my second semester of a junior year at a smaller university majoring in Biochemistry. My cumulative GPA from freshman to junior year in order is 3.243 -> 3.603 ->- 3.606 and my cumulative AMCAS GPA in order is 2.642 -> 3.281 -> 3.394. At the moment, my extracurriculars include a summer internship in clinical research, (so far) 3 years as a student-athlete, and time coaching kids in my respective sport during weekends and summers.

I am definitely planning on taking a gap year as I would like to focus on continuing the uptrend in my GPA as well as athletics. Additionally, I don’t think it would be beneficial for me to balance academics, athletics, and MCAT/med school applications simultaneously.

The main area that I would like some input and/or suggestions is how you recommend I use my gap year (either clinical/shadowing experience or post-bac) as well as how I should plan out the MCAT/application timeline with this gap year (or even two if it sees fit).

Any and all input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

a.d.

Hey Afd, it is excellent that you are improving on your GPA with every year! That is wonderful, especially with a summer internship and balancing time as a student-athlete. Fulfilling prerequisites and studying for the MCAT are the first recommendations given by the AAMC. Fulfilling your prerequisites will hopefully help you strengthen your gpa even further to extend on your uptrend! If you need some additional help with keeping your gap year productive check out our MCAT Tutoring and Admissions consulting offerings.