Research

Ok. So, i’m trying to find out how to get some bench research experience. I’m not sure how professors are going to react to me being that i’m not a the 18 year old undergraduate who wants to do hardcore research and then get his PhD. Don’t get me wrong, I am seriously thinking of doing a PhD, and I did do research as an undergrad, but it’s been so long since i did anything at the bench that I don’t know where to start. And i’m far enough in my career that I know exactly what kind of medicine i want to go into, so i don’t want to do labwork in marine biology or something that has no relevance on my future plans.
I would appreciate it if you would share your experiences trying to get undergrad or post-bad research: how did you ask, how did you find out who to ask, etc…

if you are enrolled as an undergrad you can access tons of research opportunities via google, type in summer undergraduate research fellowship.

I went to the NIH for a summer, as a post-bac (but “second-bachelor’s” student, which is how I was eligible for an undergrad fellowship). Ended up staying there for a year.
http://www.training.nih.gov/student/index.asp
Sadly except for NCI the app deadline is done. The key is to get in touch with labs; they can get through all the bureaucracy for you if they are wanting you there.
Aside from that, I think the key is just to go to people who you want to work with and go talk to them. I think you’ll find that people are interested in people who are interested in their work, and who are interesting themselves. You don’t have to be a future PhD to qualify.
Good luck!
cheers
joe

And–sorry–the way to find people whose work you’re interested in is to do pubmed searches in your field of interest and look for people who are near where you live; and to ask other professors who are not in your field but would know who is.
cheers
joe

For what it’s worth the profs at my ugrad were all totally cool about the fact that I’m not the 18 yo phd-aspiring student. I did, however, have work study. Most profs will be more than happy to have help regardless of whether or not you’re going to “follow in their footsteps”. Of course if you go to a school that is huge and has a ton of science majors then yes they may be more selective, but even then I’m sure you can sell yourself better than some of these 18 yo’s lol, and the fact that you may want to do a phD is even more helpful.
Just start talking/emailing the science profs you’re interested in working for. Also look at some of the job postings on campus as well…that’s how I got my position. Don’t worry about the fact that you’re not 18…if anything that makes you a better candidate because you’re more likely to be reliable.
Good luck!
–Jessica, UCCS