Retaining material AFTER tests

Hi all,

So how exactly does one manage to retain all this stuff long-term? I’ve done well in my Bio and Chem classes so far, but when I look at MCAT materials, my anxiety levels skyrocket because of how much is gone just a few months later. Every once in a while I can pull a perfect score on a 50-question Bio exam, but two months later, I think I’d be lucky indeed to manage a “B” on the exact same test. Add a little more time and its all familiar but the details (the answers) are gone.

So that brings up two problems then. First is how does one manage to retain it all for the MCAT. Second and far more importantly, how does one retain it long term for practical, useful purposes. I.e., when learning the material in med school, one must pass the tests but it must also be retained long-term so that it can be of actual use in practice. Perhaps med school is simply so rigorous that if you get through, it is there permanently?

I’ve been trying to review everything superficially from previous classes to keep it fresh, but the volume of material mounts with every day’s classes!

On the other hand, even if I don’t get in, this journey is among the best things I’ve ever done in spite of the difficulty. I am absolutely blown away by the things I’m learning in the basic sciences. I could go on for pages about the beauty, complexity and awe of the science of life. I took some of this stuff years ago, but it never affected me like it does now for some reason.

Thanks in advance for any input.

repetition

repetition

repetition

repetition

repetition

repetition

repetition

Understanding! (the underlying principles, that is; more than just memorizing the factoids)

I would also add that, depending on what type of learner you are, sitting down with someone else preparing for the exam can be a great way to review material. Pick topics and teach each other–teaching is an excellent way to put material into “long-term storage”.

Agree with all the rest! Also another good reason not to take a prereq. especially the 1st of the sequence in the summer. A regular semester term will provide more time to process the info!

Its better to use the phrase practice, practice, practice. By doing hundreds upon hundreds of MCAT problems, the ones that force you to constantly think and apply multiple principles, you will gain much.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. Richard, I think you hit on an important nuance there that is quite profound. I will keep that in mind as I work.