retaking the MCATS and E.D.

Hi everybody!

I was planning on taking the MCAT again this Saturday but am not nearly as prepared as I was when I took them in April, although since then I have take genetics and biochem. Should I still take them and hope for the best?

Also, I applied to Drexel as early descision. My MCAT was only a 25N and my GPA is only a 3.24, although the last two years I have gotten 3.5’s but my first two years were terrible. Do I have a shot???

Extrememy anxious

~Nick

• nick45 Said:
Hi everybody!

I was planning on taking the MCAT again this Saturday but am not nearly as prepared as I was when I took them in April, although since then I have take genetics and biochem. Should I still take them and hope for the best?

Also, I applied to Drexel as early descision. My MCAT was only a 25N and my GPA is only a 3.24, although the last two years I have gotten 3.5's but my first two years were terrible. Do I have a shot???

Extrememy anxious

~Nick

Nick,

The conventional wisdom is not to take the MCAT unless you have prepared for it and know you will do well--or significantly better than the previous time. You definitely don't want to take it if there's a chance you'll slip a couple of points. I suggest trying a full length practice exam under timed conditions--a book of Kaplan exams from the bookstore, for example, or download one from aamc.org and see how it goes.

Next year they will be offering a computerized version of the MCAT many times a year, about twice a month I believe, so you may want to wait, brush up, and take it in January or whenever they first start running it.

As for Drexel, you might want to call them up and ask if they see any problems with your numbers, and if so, what they want to see you improve in. The MCAT is a little below average for allopathic schools so you might need to raise that. But, people do get in with your numbers if they have other things going for them--research, lots of clinical experience, etc.

Good luck!