Rethinking and replanning.....

I am so “high” after the conference that I really am jostling around some more ideas. I ACTUALLY could apply at the local university here as a transfer student and get started on my pre reqs in January. I do not become an “official” resident of Maryland until February…but could cross that bridge when I come to it. At the networking dinner, I figured out how to enroll full time matriculated in SOME sort of a major, not officially declare myself “pre-health”, thereby evading the need for a committee letter, and simply focus on electives and course offerings that will allow me to complete pre-reqs. Doing it that way means I could get them all in about three semesters…and balance them off with some “fluffy” courses that are not time intensive and guarantee good grades, allowing me to focus on the hard science in the pre reqs… Sort of a full-time DIY post bacc… Not declaring “pre health” allows me to drop out once I have completed the courses I need without fully offending a committee. My Medical Director, and main psychiatrist here where I work is more than willing to write LOR, as is my direct supervisor and clinic director. I’ll try to cultivate a professor while doing the pre reqs. There is also an opportunity for research to add to the application…And a chance to take Biochem and genetics, and even A&P…The only sticky spot is that my husband does not have permanent work yet. He is temporary seasonal at the moment, and unclear as to the future when the summer ends. Filling out a million applications to try and get something secure before Fall…keeping fingers crossed…but other than that…a plan is emerging!!!

Vicki,

Good for you. After being a college professor since 2007, I decided to go to medicine too. I am 35 now and I admire what you are planning to do.

Vicki

we know you have been through a lot and your spirit and determination are inspiring. Please keep it up, keep us posted and I do wish you the best of luck.

I’m glad you posted this. Funny, I am dealing with residency stuff too, but I think I’m going to do a semester anyway, to get going. I wish I had gone to the conference; I thought it was premature to go at this stage. By your post, it seems it was helpful even in the way early stages- I will go next year!

I am wondering why you would NOT want a committee letter? Are they very harsh, or is it just better overall to not deal with getting one? Or are you saying this only for the reason that you might drop a class, and you want the freedom to do so without repercussion?

I really do not know- I am just starting this process and learning what is what. I am about to check ‘pre-med’ as a major, but now I wonder? I have a degree in something entirely unrelated to medical, so I’m going in for the chem/bio requirements.

Thanks

veeone -

Let me try to field the committee letter question. It’s not because they are overly harsh or that it’s “better” not to deal with it. There is a problem. If an institution offers a committee letter, most med schools state they require you to submit one. If you are going to a school without a pre-health/pre-med committee, no problem - you get letters from several professors. But if you enroll in a 4 year college that offers a committee letter, as a curricular student (say a bio major), but you already have a bachelors degree and are not intending to complete the degree, then they will likely not write you a letter, which will leave you up a creek in applying. But if you attend as a part-time student, you may not get to register for classes at the same time as the curricular students and may not get into your science classes that you need. Vicki seemed to find a path where she could register for the courses she needs without being eligible for a committee letter (which is fine when applying - it’s only a problem if you COULD get a letter and don’t).

Clear as mud?

Kate

Ok, thank you for the explanation. I think I made an incorrect choice, then, in selecting pre-med. The application emphasized the importance of selecting pre-med if that was the true intent.

I am doing a DIY post bacc, and can only do a class or two each semester. I definitely can’t enroll full time due to a highly irregular work schedule with travel (I will be lucky to make all of the classes, even). I suppose I can change the major at some point; I am not 100% sure on whether I can.

Thanks, again!

Yeah, since I only need 6 courses, I know going in that I will not complete. And to matriculate as pre med, not complete, and not get a committee letter would be certain death in the admissions process. But to matriculate as, let’s say, a biology secondary education major - which allows you full financial aid, and then drop out after completing the six courses, would not be looked on badly. Especially if you get a couple of good LOR’s from professors in the process. You would just submit transcripts in the AMCAS process showing you have the six necessary pre reqs, hopefully with excellent grades…