Scheduling an appointment with admissions

I live close to a top 50 medical school and I’d like to gain their input as to what I’d need to do.
For those who have done such a thing, what all do you bring to show them? Do you need a sample essay? Copies of transcripts? Kleenex?
I’m not too far along in my premed education but I do have some uglies I’m needing to clean up from previous college attempts. I want to have my ducks in a row when I schedule or go see them. Also, is there a better time of year for this?
Thanks!

Wackie -
I would say any transcripts and a CV or resume. They will want to look at the courses you’ve taken and your grades, and find out what kind of clinical, research or shadowing experience you have.
While you are on campus, you can also see if that university has a “professional admissions” office in addition to the Med School Office. My school does, and this office also has very good admissions counselors.

Hi. I actually did the same thing at Stanford University and the admissions dept was very open to it. I brought my resume/cv and copies of my transcripts. The guy I spoke with gave me some ideas about how to improve my application so that it would get “noticed.” I found that the info was helpful for any medical school, not just Stanford. Making an appointment is intimidating, but worth it. As for the time of year, call the admissions dept, present your case, and ask what time of year would work best. They may be able to see you sooner than you think. Good luck!

What does CV stand for?

Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Similar to a resume, but details pretty much every point of your life since you graduated high school. You can do a simple search on google for sample CVs.

You are probably better off with a one-two page resume than a CV unless you already have publications.
What you really want to know when you go in is “What do you look for in your most well-qualified applicants?” Ask to schedule a 15-20 min. appointment. You’ll probably get more, but don’t get greedy about time. Dress as if it is an interview (in a way, it is). Early April is a good time to try to do this. If you are applying for EC2007, much after April will likely be too late (conflict of interest by the admissions office as the next season begins). Ideally, you want to talk to the top person in the admissions office (dean, director, assoc. dean…check MSAR for that person) or the second in command (director [if the top person is a dean of some kind] or ass’t. director [if top person is the director]).
Cheers,
Judy