Scholarships???????

sad.gif
Anyone know of how to go about finding some information about scholarships out there? I should be applying in about 2 years but I want to start getting this info now.

A lot of scholarships will come through the specific school - and so it’ll be hard to find out a LOT until you know where you’re going. There are directories of scholarships that you can find in a public library, but to be honest I don’t remember what they’re called. A good reference librarian would probably know where to guide you, though.
And here’s something to just file away for now, and think about later: at GWU, and at many other schools, your eligibility for “school-based aid” (as opposed to federal loans) requires that your parents complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and possibly additional documents required by the school. This always frosts us OPM types, but them’s the rules. As far as I’ve been able to to tell, NO ONE has gotten a school with this requirement to bend. cool.gif

Hi there,
I will echo what Mary said above and add that your MCAT scores and incoming grades can often make you eligible for scholarships up front. In addition to having good incoming grades and test scores if you fit into a need-based situation, (determined by your household income and parents income) you can often end up with all of your tuition paid. Beware, that the school that you attend will determined the max of Federal Loan that you may receive. If you need more money, you have to borrow from outside lenders.
If you know ahead of time that you want to do primary care (Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, OB-Gyn) you can apply for the Health Service Corps Scholarships which pay total tuition. You are locked into giving back year for year in an underserved community (inner city, rural, Native American reservation). You are also locked into Primary Care. If you decide to do a specialty like Anesthesia, you are going to have to pay back all of your medical school costs plus interest so you are essentialy locked in early. (There is an anesthesiologist who attended Georgetown and then decided against primary care. She now owes well over $1,000,000 with the interest). If you have an interst in Geriatrics, you can almost bet that you can get one of these scholarships that pays all tuition plus living expenses to a max of what you school budgets.
Start collecting what you need for filling out the FAFSA right now. This includes your income information and your parents income information if you are applying for need-based scholarships.
Good luck
Natalie smile.gif

wink.gif
Thanks for all the information. I am looking to practicing Emergency Medicine, do you know if they is eligible for scholarships??

I filled out a FAFSA and there was an option to not include parental info, is there a different FAFSA for med school that undergrad?

QUOTE (gabelerman @ Oct 1 2003, 08:42 AM)
wink.gif
Thanks for all the information. I am looking to practicing Emergency Medicine, do you know if they is eligible for scholarships??

Hi there,
Your medical school may have a scholarship specifically earmarked for EM but EM is not a primary care discipline thus you would not be eligible for Public Health Scholarship money. Again, do your best and try to get a full-ride tuition upfront without the primary care strings attached.
Natalie smile.gif
QUOTE (Calvin -- in a box by the river @ Oct 1 2003, 08:57 PM)
I filled out a FAFSA and there was an option to not include parental info, is there a different FAFSA for med school that undergrad?

Hi there,
If you do not include your parental data, you are not eligible for need-based scholarship at most schools. As far as the FAFSA is concerned, you do not have to include parental data after a certain age. I am not sure how old you have to be but there is an option.
Natalie

It’s the same FAFSA. However, some schools (many of the really expensive ones) require that you do complete the parental income portion. The program usually determines that you are “independent” based on your responses to the series of questions it asks (year of birth, married, served in military, etc). Being declared independent allows you to have your aid be based only on your/your spouse’s income. However, select schools override your option to not complete that portion and mandate its completion for you to be eleigible for aid.
Hope this helps.
Tara

On the topic of scholarships, there's always the Armed Forces Health Profession Scholarship Program (HPSP) for those who meet the age requirement and have an interest in serving. If anyone has any questions about it, let me know and I'll do my best to tell you what I know or find a resource with the answer.
Tara

My only issue with that is I have no idea what their finances are like.

QUOTE (tec @ Oct 2 2003, 01:15 AM)
If anyone has any questions about it, let me know and I'll do my best to tell you what I know or find a resource with the answer.
Tara

Hi there,
I'm applying to vet school and am interested in the scholarships (for veterinarians of course). Maybe you could tell me what it means exactly to serve as an "active-duty officer." Also, offhand, do you know what it means to "be eligible for appointment as a commissioned officer"?
I've never been involved with the army in any way, but the veterinary corps appears to offer a lot of great opportunities in terms of travel and diverse experiences...plus the money would be amazing.
Thanks!
Kate

Calvin,
The way I remember it being when I was applying to med schools was that you will have to get a copy of their tax statements for the data. The schools seemed very inflexible on this. But that may have just been a slanted view.
Tara

Well, I won't be getting any aid from those schools because I don't have access to those records.

Kate,
I sent you a PM.
Tara