Science Pre-requisite question

Hello All … I’m an Occupational Therapist practicing for approx. 8 years. I have an Masters of Science degree from an Ivy School. For my training, i went through extensive courses in Gross Anatomy & Physiology, Neuroscience, and some biochemistry.

I’ve also taken both Orgo I & II (with lab) at a local CC.

Do you guys feel admission commitees will require me to do the science pre-requisite despite having a MS degree?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

each school is different… but most will not accept credits that are 10 years old (or older)… since your credits are 8 years old, you should be fine…

nonetheless, i think it would be wise for you to brush up on chem, orgchem, and math. this would really help you with preparing for the mcat and acing it…

as far as the CC credits go - i don’t know if it will hurt that you took the orgchem at a CC… as they say, this course makes or breaks prospective medical school students… however, you have an MS from a school of ivy - i suppose i would look favorably on this… but also, if i saw a 4 year university student who got great marks in all his classes and someone who came from a higher tiered school who did less than stellar, i am inclined to think that the former would be favored…

essentially, my advice is just spitting back out what others have told me to do… skip the CC, head straight for the hills to the university and do as well as i possibly can in all my sciences.

i think your main concern now is to focus on taking the mcat and how you can do the best possible on that (since most med schools will accept your prereqs as they aren’t older than 10 years… but check with your schools of interest on this). perhaps audit some courses at a university to brush up on bio/physics/calculus and maybe even consider taking orgchem over again at a 4-year?

• rholley Said:
Hello All ... I'm an Occupational Therapist practicing for approx. 8 years. I have an Masters of Science degree from an Ivy School. For my training, i went through extensive courses in Gross Anatomy & Physiology, Neuroscience, and some biochemistry.

I've also taken both Orgo I & II (with lab) at a local CC.

Do you guys feel admission commitees will require me to do the science pre-requisite despite having a MS degree?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm not clear, have you done all the basic prereqs? For most schools in the U.S., you need:

one year general chem

one year organic chem

one year physics

one year biology

Beyond that, prerequisites vary (e.g. calculus, statistics, biochemistry, even English). Without a good grounding in those four basic areas, you'll have a hard time on the MCAT and so I would recommend taking whichever of them you still need, as MCAT prep if nothing else. Your o-chem at a CC is probably fine as long as you get good grades in any remaining coursework and do well on the MCAT. Ivy credentials don't count for anything unless you've got the MCAT numbers to back 'em up.

Good luck!

Mary

Thanks for the respones. I think auditing classes might be a good approach for MCAT prep - We’ll see how that works out.

In regards to the basic science courses, I completed my science courses in prep for therapy school.

I guess my strategy at this point is to study as much as I can for the June MCAT & see how things turn out.

Thanks for everyones help !

You def need to get physics one and two in there. I’m sure you had Gen Chem since you had orgo. And Gen Bio is def a requirement. Good Luck.

I am also an OT but I earned my degree in my country, Brazil. Besides the one year of Chem, Organic Chem, Physics and Biology (with labs, do I really need to take Math and English? How long would it generally take to go through all these pre-requisites? Thank you so much.

Typically, two academic years depending on your math and English skills. Unless you have taken and passed an equivalent of one year of American college English that is typically required of American college graduates, you should plan on taking English, too. Usually, a TOEFL will determine if you start off in ESL or Freshman English Composition.

Also, Vanessa, American medical schools typically require one to two years of study at an American college or university (which is basically how long you need for your American premedical coursework–depending on your course-by-course evaluation by a company like Josef Silny or WES) before American medical schools will consider a foreign college graduate. This is to ensure acclimation to the American college education system.

Thank you for your answer. I took the TOEFL in 2003 to be able to take the Occupational Therapy Board test and back then I had a 295 out of 300 score. I heard the system has changed, but I know that after ten years living and working in the US I can do the TOEFL with my eyes closed :slight_smile: Now… do you think they will require the TOEFL to accept me as a post-baccalaureate student (for the pre-med stuff, I mean)?