SDN

I friggin hate SDN, well at least the premeds section . Those snot nose kids that never spent a day in the real world are stuck up and snobby. I had a spelling error in a post and they jumped on me like I killed Jesus. And what kills me the most is that if they spent any time in the real world and tried that they would get their teeth knocked in(at least where I come from, or when they belittle a patient or a family member in a clinic in a part of town with less civil people or the first time they are insensitive to a grieving family member). Also they haven’t done anything, they are pre-meds like me, so where does this better than everyone else attitude come from? Is it this younger generation and their irrational sense of entitlement or just that the forum setting is so impersonal they think that they have the ability just to say what ever they want?

of course they got me all angry and I became one of them, this forum needs to create an iphone/android app.

• EARL Said:
I friggin hate SDN, well at least the premeds section . Those snot nose kids that never spent a day in the real world are stuck up and snobby. I had a spelling error in a post and they jumped on me like I killed Jesus. And what kills me the most is that if they spent any time in the real world and tried that they would get their teeth knocked in(at least where I come from, or when they belittle a patient or a family member in a clinic in a part of town with less civil people or the first time they are insensitive to a grieving family member). Also they haven't done anything, they are pre-meds like me, so where does this better than everyone else attitude come from? Is it this younger generation and their irrational sense of entitlement or just that the forum setting is so impersonal they think that they have the ability just to say what ever they want?

Dont hold back, tell us how you really feel. Dont let the kids bug you and dont blame all of SDN. Just take what you read from the gunner type with 2 grains of salt and a shot of tequila.

• EARL Said:
of course they got me all angry and I became one of them, this forum needs to create an iphone/android app.

I can barely manage to keep this creaky site going.

Earl, I couldn’t help but laugh out loud at your initial post. After a long night shift, I needed that.

Thank you!

yeah I needed to vent

• gonnif Said:
Just take what you read from the gunner type with 2 grains of salt and a shot of tequila.

That'll do it!

SDN is a terrible place to be. It seems like that's where angry students go when they need someone to belittle. I also come from a place where, if you were to talk back to someone like some of those kids do, you would quite literally get dragged behind a barracks and have 3 corporals beat on you until you learned respect. When General Mattis perpetuated the no-hazing policy to 1st Marine Division in order to squelch such happenings, they just moved underground, so to speak.

Advice of the century: Stay off of SDN. I certainly do.

Someone I know has something in their signature line about SDN…

Even going on the specialty forums saps the hope from me. I always get the feeling that there won’t be any work for me once I get to the other side and if there is work it’ll not pay any better than a PA. Then I speak to my mentor who doesn’t spend any time on anything online and he just laughs. He reminds me that online is not the real world and those who are making money and enjoying their job aren’t going to spend their time online. There is no forum for those who love what they do and are getting compensated well because who wants to type about that and then get attacked…so happy people stay off. Kinda like why those here who make it to the promised land never show back up. =)

One of my issues with the angry, know it all, students on SDN is how they make getting acceptances to medical school seem not simply competitive and difficult but mythically impossible unless you can walk on water and invented sliced bread. Besides the less than professional manner in which express these views, is the discouragement that so many take away from it. Premed social media, which SDN is the most influential site, reverberates throughout the applicant pool and I think is a main driver for the significant demographic shifts in the pool.

Though I have do have to say that as US older more mature students should strive to educate those on SDN in both style and substance. I treat arguments with data and facts, and always try to turn snide comments around. While this often seems a losing and thankless task over the past few months on two occasions I have gotten, dare I say it, apologies from posters for both correcting their info and professionalism on their posts

Unfortunately beast that SDN has become does not reflect the belief and ideals that it was founded upon. They try very very hard with enormous amounts of moderation to keep their forums under control. One of the things I am proud of at OPM is that since 2006 when I first become heavily involved with the management/leadership of the group I only ever had to ban 1 person from the site and can count on one hand the number of times that I had to moderate any threads. There have been times that things got heated but usually the members on OPM “police” it openly and ask for moderation publically

As a person who was banned from SDN when I took a certain old premed turned meat cutter to task about their “Clarence Thomas” moderating…

Well I guess I don’t much more to say after saying that, ROTFL!!!

PS- Does this comment need moderating too?

Honestly, the ONLY thing that keeps this site from being the #1 premed site on the net is how easily it gets hacked.

What? You didn’t cure cancer, negotiate peace in Sudan, and have a 4.0 GPA, all while working 90 hours per week at a soup kitchen (in which, of course, you are the sole worker for 500+ customers)? How could you possibly think any med school would look at you?

/sarcasm

The way I look at the SDN gunners is this: they wouldn’t be gunners if they weren’t insecure in some way (or many ways). If they were really “all that,” they wouldn’t even be on SDN, trolling and telling us all how awesome they are. Like a PP said, the ones who are really doing all that they say they are don’t have time to post on SDN.

Just ignore the gunners - on SDN, in pre-med student groups, or wherever. They’re probably just intimidated by someone with a bit of life experience. Experience = advantage. Never forget that. Good luck

This was in response to the original post, sorry…:slight_smile: