second bach

So I am almost set on going for a second BS with the goal to get way better grades than the first time around (2.6 overall :(). My circumstances are are just a million times better. Do you all think it would help if I just go ahead and go for a second degree (includes med prereqs)and prove myself as a student like that or simply taking and retaking prereq classes will do?

First degree is in Sociology minor in Bio. Second degree will be Medical Technology and I figured this would be a good backup if all else fails as well. Let me know what u all think plz

As someone finishing up not one, but two second bachelors degrees (biochemistry and microbiology: there is some degree of overlap so I decided to do both), I can offer some of my own observations and advice.

Doing a second bachelors is a good option if you want need to take lots of science course to shore up a non-existent or weak science GPA. But, it can take longer, and you may end up taking courses that you don’t need for medical school.

Also, it is imperative that you do well in those science courses to maintain a good GPA. If you are weak in the sciences (or, in my cases, have some issues with a learning disability), then you can actually lower your GPA. This happened to me.

Because you are a formally-registered student and not taking courses through university extension or open enrollment, you get the same priority or sometimes higher priority than regular students. It may also cost you less than doing open enrollment or university extension.

As a formal student, you may also qualify for scholarships, grants, and other services denied to open enrollment or extension students.

Another factor to consider is that you don’t have the support system that many medical-school-oriented formal post-bacc programs have to get you into medical school. There may be a “pre-health office” on campus or you may be on your own. Professors may not be interested in your health aspirations and it may be harder to get a letter of recommendation from them.

But they may be more willing to allow you to do research with them since you are formally enrolled and are not much different than other regularly-enrolled students, although the university you are attending may classify you differently than those regular undergrads. Some universities classify their second bachelor students as post-baccs, others as grad students, and still others may classify you as an undergraduate. In my case, I am a post-bacc student but I have the privileges of a regular undergraduate student, but I pay graduate-level tuition (somewhat higher fees).

One thing you can do if you are in a hurry is that you can take your premed courses, and start applying while you are doing your second bachelors; if things don’t work out right, you can continue to take courses while re-applying to medical school.

• dkclayton Said:
So I am almost set on going for a second BS with the goal to get way better grades than the first time around (2.6 overall :(). My circumstances are are just a million times better. Do you all think it would help if I just go ahead and go for a second degree (includes med prereqs)and prove myself as a student like that or simply taking and retaking prereq classes will do?

First degree is in Sociology minor in Bio. Second degree will be Medical Technology and I figured this would be a good backup if all else fails as well. Let me know what u all think plz

Datsa makes several good points. I just wanted to add a few

1)While there are advantages to having a second bachelors, dont feel like it is required.

2) Historically, adcoms want to see people committed to becoming physicians. There is some perception that preparing for a allied health profession may suggest a lack of commitment by the applicant.

3) be careful that the courses you take for medical tech are at the level for premed. The courses for bio, chem, etc, should be acceptable for the majors in those areas. Often nursing, med tech, etc, have somewhat less rigorous courses.

Thanks u all. Tmrw is my first day at Org Chem II. wish me luck