Serious Case of F.U.D.

Hi all,

Well, I’m finishing up Org Chem 2, working my tail off between working full-time as an NP, being a full-time single mom to my two teenagers, studying, going to class and labs, and writing up lab reports. I’m seriously sick of studying at this point and I’m wondering if my current lack of motivation is going to persist through my remaining pre-med years. I am registered for Gen Physics in the fall and will need to take I and II to complete my pre-med requirements, although if I continue pursuing med school, I will likely take Biochem and repeat Gen Bio 1 and 2 (because my original courses are pretty old).

I realize the sacrifices that one must make to go down the path to medicine and that it will be a struggle financially.

Here’s a question for those of you who have already been down this path and are already physicians and/or those of you in med school:

Do you need to study around the clock all four years or do you study a lot more in the first two years due to the amount of material you must learn? Is there not as much studying the third and fourth years since you are doing clinical rotations?

Is it possible to have a life while you’re going to med school? I understand that I won’t be able to work either at all or very little, but I was referring to whether or not you have time to do your hobbies, exercise, go away for the weekend, etc? Anything to get away from studying all the time?

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I’m seriously doubting my drive at this point in my life. I’m 45 years old, I have a very good job and career right now, so I’m wondering whether or not going to med school this late in life is in the cards for me.

Thanks for any and all responses!

I also remember hitting the wall at about the point where you’re at…that “WTF” feeling of being close to burnout on the studying, sacrificing precious family time and trying to hold down a full-time job. Personally, I felt like once in med school, the lack of time to study was no longer an issue. The amount of material that had to be absorbed was sometimes overwhelming and it took some time to adjust to the notion that studying was now, in fact, my full-time job. Certainly in the third and fourth years the study burden eases up considerably. You still have to study, but you may find (like a lot of OPMs) that by virtue of your age and previous work experience, you can assimilate the clinical knowledge quicker than your younger colleagues.

Addressing your question about having a life, yes you can and will. My family got used to me traveling with a stack of books and journals, but we still managed to squeeze in a trip or two every year. If you’re making time now for exercise, you will still be able to do that too. I remember having to get a little more organized about how to spend those few free moments, but it didn’t seem that difficult (or at least in retrospect!). I didn’t try to work at all in med school. After I got my license I entertained the idea of moonlighting a little in residency, but with the work hours cap it never really panned out. Hope that helps…

It definitely does help, thanks! So, looking back on everything, do you think it was worth it for you? If you knew then what you know now, would you do it all over again?

Thanka again for the info!

Was it worth it? Absolutely! I can’t imagine what life would have been like had I not taken that leap of faith. Would I do it all over again? Hmmmm…probably yes, but there were definitely moments of doubt along the way…usually when sleep deprived. I think it must be sort of like giving birth. Now that it’s over, I have a hard time recalling the pain.

Recall several times both pre-med (working 3 part-time jobs, studying and being Dad/husband to a 4 and 5 year old), med school and residency where I felt like throwing in the towel.

it was good to vent but I really can’t see myself doing anything else-- and it’s the small things now that make it worth it…

I can’t tell you how blessed I was when one of my patients tried to buy my lunch the other day when I was grabbing something between deliveries. I had to politely decline 2/2 gift policies of the hospital, but it was a nice gesture from someone who could barely afford healthcare/food for themselves…I cried walking back to the floor…it meant so much…

yeah, you’ll feel like quitting…no, you don’t study 24x7x365 but it sure feels like it…you learn to make time— I always took Saturday night at 4PM to Sunday at 3PM off for the family…otherwise, it was nose in the books…

Now, it’s whenever I have time and usually I’m able to tuck the kiddos in unless I’m on call…

It can be done…

Thanks for the insight everyone. I am looking forward to some downtime a month from now when Org 2 is over and I can take my nose out of the books. For now, I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that I did well on the exam we just had tonight…

• jmdmd Said:
I think it must be sort of like giving birth. Now that it's over, I have a hard time recalling the pain.

You have obviously NEVER had a baby nor is close to anyone who has, LOL!!!!
  • pathdr2b Said:
  • jmdmd Said:
I think it must be sort of like giving birth. Now that it's over, I have a hard time recalling the pain.

You have obviously NEVER had a baby nor is close to anyone who has, LOL!!!!

The mother of my children claims the only reason she was able to have two more after the first was the selective amnesia that let her forget how much the first one hurt until it was too late to do anything about it