seriously need some advice

Hi, sorry this post is so long, but I would REALLY appreciate your time and advice!

I just graduated from the University of California, San Diego in March with a low gpa (2.5). My intention was to graduate as an English Lit. major with all the med school pre-req’s done as well. To make a long story short, I suffered severe depression in college as a result of my childhood, and being from a conservative family that looked down on psychological treatments, I didn’t seek treatment until my junior year when my grades hit rock bottom. I graduated with having taken most of the pre-med courses, but many of them were completed with C’s, C-'s and one F. I also still have to take the last of the physics sequence and organic chemistry lab. I had pretty much given up on medical school, but as I healed from my depression, I realized how much I still wanted to help people as a medical doctor.

My plan now is to apply to the post bacc programs I am eligible for (considering my low gpa and the fact that I haven’t completed the pre-med sequence entirely). So far the only programs I have found on aamc. org that I can apply to are San Francisco State Univ., Dominican Univ., and Manhattanvill College. Am I missing anything? Also, what are my other options if I am rejected from all post bacc programs? I was thinking of re-taking classes at a city college, but where can I go from there? Some people have suggested waiting 3-4 years…how would this benefit me?

I am aware of the long and hard work that is cut out for me, I just need to be pointed in the right direction. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!!

For starters, have your pity party and get it out of your system. We all have and this is the best way to move on. This gives you a chance to lick your wounds and heal.

Then I would suggest taking some time off. Maybe a year to give your mind a rest and be able to enjoy some free time without studying. During this time, you can formulate your plan. You are entering into a long term commitment that needs proper planning.

Once you have a plan of action, then simply implement it.

Good luck and let us know how else we can help.

Gabeler has a very good point, lick your wounds and move on. Like you, 2ndchance, I had my bout of depression during college due to a wacky youth, which inevitably screwed with my grades thus compromising what I wanted to pursue at the time.

Since I’ve graduated I certainly had time to get myself together so I can continue on with a clear head. I’ve come up with a game plan that now only has to be put into play.

Proper planning is exactly it.

I’m not sure how far you can get with C’s and C-'s though… consider retaking those?

What do you mean when you say “some people suggested waiting 3-4 years” ?? Wait for whaT?

Good luck with the pursuit!

Sounds like you need some “re-group” time before you hit the academic trail again. And you mentioned City College. With your academic record at UCSD, you can’t afford to take a chance on a community college for your pre-med requirements as you have much to overcome. I suggest that you consider, when you return to school, that you get your pre-reqs “at the most rigorous 4-hr. institution time & $$ will allow.” (My mantra.)

Cheers,

Judy