Settle or suck it up

Hi all,

I’ll get right to it. I’m a 30yo CC student who was planning to transfer to UCSD this fall. However, I’m currently doing really bad in my Calculus course. Might not even pass. One option is to maybe get by with a C. Another option is to drop it and take the W and talk to the UC and see if they’ll give me an extension. And the only other option I can think of is to stay at my CC and get an A. I know I can get an A bc the concepts aren’t that hard. The reason I’m doing so poorly is that my mother just passed away and I’m taking it really hard and having trouble focusing.

What should I do?

Thank you.

Personally, I would take the W, take time to collect yourself (however long that need be) and then attempt it again. There are plenty of ways to explain a W on your transcript to AdComms, especially when they concern the loss of a family member. I have a couple Ws on my transcript as well when I has having mental health issues, severe anxiety leading to physical symptoms including hypertension and panic attacks, but after seeing a professional and getting medicated, the vast majority of my issues have been resolved, and I was able to move forward appropriately. Make sure your taking care of yourself first, ALWAYS. If you don’t everything else will suffer as downstream effects. It’s okay to have set backs, we’ve all had them, it only matters how you move forward after them. I hope this helps. Take care of yourself, and I’m sorry for your loss.

Best.

A "w"under your circumstances is very understandable. Much easier to explain than a “C” (or worse).

Kate

Why are you taking Calculus? You dont need that for the MCAT or medical schools. I would focus on sciences once your a lot of your mourning is over.