Shadowing

When did you/are you shadowing? I’m starting my pre-reqs next week, so I won’t be applying to med schools until 2014. I don’t want to shadow too early in case the docs have forgotten me by the time I’m ready to ask for LOR’s. Suggestions?

Hi MeghanP,

Similar to volunteering, you want quality shadowing. Find a doctors office that you can be stable at for a prolonged time. Doing that will prevent them from “forgetting” you. It also looks great to admission committees that you are not just fluffing up your application.

The fact that you are just starting your pre-reqs, I would hold off on trying to do everything at the same time. Start your classes, get through a test and see what kind of free time you have left over to use for shadowing.

Ryan

I’ve also been wondering when to start shadowing. Wouldn’t sooner be better than later? Isn’t the point of shadowing to see if medicine is for you? Does it makes sense to complete pre-req’s/post-bacc classes if you haven’t shadowed?

• subgenre Said:
I've also been wondering when to start shadowing. Wouldn't sooner be better than later? Isn't the point of shadowing to see if medicine is for you? Does it makes sense to complete pre-req's/post-bacc classes if you haven't shadowed?

Yes - the sooner the better, IF it fits into your schedule. Don't sacrifice grades just to get shadowing/volunteering time.