Should I retake?

I am working on a Biology degree right now. I should be able to get it done in 4 semesters.

When I was doing my undergrad I took calculus because I thought I would need it for the MCAT. This was way before I knew any better and I can’t even remember who or what told me I needed it. Anyhow, I took it and ended with a D. Now I know I don’t need Calculus but should I retake it just to replace that grade. This was just one example. There are other classes (like astronomy)that I took that wouldn’t do me any good to retake for any other reason than grade replacement.

Should I just ignore these grades under undergrad and move on or try to retake? I wouldn’t want to risk good grades because I will have full loads.

Should I retake them after I’m done taking all the science courses that are for my Bio degree and are really going to help me?

Any input appreciated

Rule 3: It Depends

For AMCAS/MD (allopathic)

there is NO grade replacement

all grades get averaged

Bio, Chem, Math, Physics, (BCMP) are the science cumulative GPA with everything else lumped as “all others” (AO)

Postbacc GPA is shown as both separate and part of UG cumulative GPA. Postbacc is also broken down into BCMP into AO

for AACOMAS/DO (osetopathic)

there IS grade replacement

you most recent grade is averaged in GPA

Science does NOT include math but does include most sciences

Postbacc GPA is shown as both separate and part of UG cumulative GPA. Postbacc is also broken down into science and other

Ok, so lets analyze

1. even though you are earning a new degree, it will listed as postbacc work, though it will get also shown as part of undergrad cumulative Postbacc GPA is shown as both separate and part of UG cumulative GPA. Postbacc is also broken down into BCMP into AO

2. For MD, new calc and other grades wont replace your original grades. However, they will show up as part of postbacc and will show that you can do well in the course

3. For DO, the new calc and other grades will replace original grades for GPA and will show in postbacc. This could make a huge impact on DO GPA

4. Is the additional course load worth the risk. I would say for calculus the answer would be no, though I am on the borderline with this. But dont risk additional bad grades by taking too much and jeopardizing your BS GPA.

5. what to do? Two things you could consider.

Take another year and do these repeat courses. That will improve your MD GPA and greatly improve you DO GPA. Apply after you take these.

Or take these during your glide year. That way if for some reason you get rejected, you can immediately reapply with an improved record.

I am pretty sure I will be going the DO route. I like the idea of taking courses during my glide year. there would be about 4 of them that would really help out my cumulative GPA.

thank you gonnif!

Another thought: Most MD schools won’t accept a C- (or lower) grade in a pre-med required course. It must be repeated. Many MD schools require [single variable] calc. FWIW.

Cheers,

Judy