so confused... can't decide!

Hello everybody, I am new to this site. Although I’ve been following this forum for about a year now. This is one of the places I get my motivation from.

Anyways, I will make my story short as much as I can.

My background: I am an LVN nurse, been working for 1 year under my license. As I begin my journey to this field, my interest to becoming an MD just keeps growing everyday. I work both in a skilled nursing as well as outpatient settings ( yes i work two jobs) I love what I do, but I don’t want to stop here either!

I went to UCI to get a counceling about becoming an MD and asked about course and prereqs etc… so now, I am currently working on my IGETC to transfer to a 4 year college to do my major and start my science classes.

More about me. I am married with two daughters 8 & 3. I am 31 years old, my husband work as an IT.

Right now Im taking classes to satisfy my IGETC, this sem Im taking 6 units (2 clases). Its not easy having to work 6 days/week and family but so far I am managing. But I feel like its going really slow if I am only to take 2-3 classes at a time. IGETC is about 60-90 credits + my major.

My delema is… I’ve been really thinking about… what if I just quit my full time weekdays job so I can go to school full time and expedite my GEN classes ( I don’t have a degree)it will maybe take me less than 2 years to complete my gen ed. and I can start my major and get mybachelor degree. And if I only work part-time during weekend, me and family will still survive.

Also, I have another option. Since I am an LPN/LVN, I can take nursing prereq which is shorter and get my nursing BSN (bachelor degree)

If I do the nursing route first - it’ll be 1-2 years taken from working on being an MD. I love nursing but I do want to be an MD still. But I want to expedite things since I am already a little too late to begin this journey,

I’m sorry if this is too much. But If anybody could just give me an insight I would really really really appreciate it.

Thank you so much in advance.

Hmmm. I can’t really say what would be best. It’s true that you could complete your degree more quickly if you went for the BSN (probably)…going to school fulltime. But you also would be skipping a few of the med school requirements (physics, organic chem).

On the plus side, you’d be getting training in “critical thinking” which I personally feel helped me on MCAT’s. And you would have the ability to make more money while completing your prerequisites.

Kate.

There is also a bias against recent nursing and other specialized health care graduates for getting into medical school. The perception by adcoms may raise a flag on motivation and commitment of the applicant (why are they jumping from nursing to medicine). Also, specialized health care majors have the worst acceptance rates across the 7 categories of majors that AAMC tracks.

Lastly, it sounds like that you are looking for a quicker path getting into medical school. My advice when asked by potential applicants about a faster way to becoming a doctor is would want to be treated by a physician who may have cut corners to get his/her MD quicker? would an adcom look favorably on someone who did so?

• gonnif Said:
There is also a bias against recent nursing and other specialized health care graduates for getting into medical school. The perception by adcoms may raise a flag on motivation and commitment of the applicant (why are they jumping from nursing to medicine). Also, specialized health care majors have the worst acceptance rates across the 7 categories of majors that AAMC tracks.

Lastly, it sounds like that you are looking for a quicker path getting into medical school. My advice when asked by potential applicants about a faster way to becoming a doctor is would want to be treated by a physician who may have cut corners to get his/her MD quicker? would an adcom look favorably on someone who did so?

My consideration of the LVN to BSN route was not meant to cut corners, I am 32 (will be 33 this year) it's the time that I'm running against with and the guilt of constantly studying instead of spending time with family and raising my children.

Up until now I am still going back and forth whether to cont. with LVN-BS route. However, LVN-BS route is starting to look blurred for the reason that all BSN programs (well at least in CA) are highly impacted. Hence, my other option..

I have read programs called Prehealth. My understanding is, these programs prepare aspiring medical students and one will get out with BS in Biology of any other science related majors. Anybody? Ring any bell? Also, it seems like on private universities/colleges offer these programs. And it is also a three year bachelor program.

If anybody have any info/advice/comments for this very very confused individual. It would be highly appreciated!