So far, so good...

I remember the day no too far in the distant past when I decided that being a paramedic and a firefighter just wasn’t enough for me. I had always tossed around the idea of becoming a physician but, like many on this forum, was plagued by fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Even though I’m still only 33, relatively young I believe, I faced so many questions from family and friends. “Why do you want to give up a stable job at the fire department and go back to school for so many years at your age?” That seemed to be the question heard most frequently. And the answer is really pretty simple; I don’t want to live a life of half measures. To live unsatisfied is not the life for me! In order to do this, I’ve faced my own struggles as have all of you who are daring to take this “road less traveled by!”

I’m pleased to say that I’m now officially half way through my DIY post bacc at a private 4 year university with a 4.0 with Gen Chem I and II, Physics I, and Bio I behind me. I calculated my GPA last night (undergrad 4 year B.A. 3.29, paramedic 3.7) and if I can finish out these remaining 4 classes with “A’s,” I should have an overall GPA at 3.52, with my science GPA being well higher than that. I feel if I can really hit the MCAT hard, I’ll have a decent shot! It’s an amazing feeling to be a year out from applying for a dream!

On another note, it’s been interesting being a 33 year old premed and trying to have a dating life! In many respects I feel fortunate to be unmarried with no children while going through this, but it has been “interesting” to see the effect it has on relationships. Many people don’t find the idea of seeing someone in medical school appealing. In fact, I was recently dating a physician who told me that she couldn’t “go through med school again.” In some respects, I’ve got to say that I don’t blame her. She’s had her struggle and is close to arriving at a goal. It would be hard for her in a lot of ways and I can respect that!

Though I’m certain that I’m on the right path, and there’s no stopping me regardless of relationship circumstance, it does give me added respect for those of you going down this road with a partner and children. It’s been proven many times that it can be done, and done well, but you have my respect! This path will test your resolve not only of your character, but of your partner’s as well.

Keep fighting the good fight!

Dan

I remember the day “NOT” too far in the distant past …

oops…

Dan,

To those who say “Why would you want to do that at your age?”, the best response comes from a Dear Abby column. “And how old would I be if I didn’t do it?” We cannot change our age, we can only decide what we want to do with our lives. There is intrinsic value, not only in the goal (becoming a physician), but also in the process of becoming. Medical school, for a non-traditional student, can be an amazing adventure. I find that although my brain is not as fast as those of my classmates, it has great tenacity, and I believe I get more joy out of the process of learning than many of them do. Just never forget the inspiration that brought you there. It is sad to see some students who drop out when it is harder than they expected. Let your internal strength that brought you this far, take you all the way. Best wishes in your adventures!

• Guitardan77 Said:
On another note, it's been interesting being a 33 year old premed and trying to have a dating life! In many respects I feel fortunate to be unmarried with no children while going through this, but it has been "interesting" to see the effect it has on relationships. Many people don't find the idea of seeing someone in medical school appealing.

Guitardan77,

There's been an ongoing thread on this very topic over in the medical student forums! Check it out!