So how bad is a W?

I tried, but I don’t think I’m going to pull out of a bad start at Organic 2 this semester. Between Micro and Biochem, it was just too much to do well. Or I’m stupid, not sure. I only pulled a C+ out of Organic 1, so maybe that means all this isn’t meant to be.

Anyway, I have a few more days before the drop cutoff, but that’ll leave a W on my record. I don’t know if that’s basically suicide, or stick it out and get a D or F, and then retake the class. Not really sure what the best option here is. This instructor has a gnarly grading scale for the class, and I don’t think numerically I stand a chance. Sure, if I got 100s on the remaining tests, but that isn’t realistic.

Any ideas? Have I just wasted the last couple of years?

I’m also looking at a similar situation - I can take either a W or maybe a C- and am wondering which would be better. Only difference is that mine is at a CC. I’d be interested in opinions too.

Generally, med schools won’t accept a C- (or lower) grade as fulfilling the pre-med course requirement. You’d have to repeat it anyway. It’s probably better to take the W and repeat the course and get an excellent grade. But, you don’t want a stream of W’s on your transcript.

Cheers,

Judy

What if you have “W” on your transcript and wasn’t able to repeat the course?

For example, I have W for physiology - I had to withdraw that 6 credit hours course. And that course wasn’t available to me in this spring semester before my graduation in May. Other than W, my postbacc GPA is good so far…should I retake that physio? or is it okay to leave it?

W counts for an F in GPA, so you must cover it. If not, you had better have a really great explanation why you allowed an F on your GPA.

• spoxjox Said:
W counts for an F in GPA, so you must cover it. If not, you had better have a really great explanation why you allowed an F on your GPA.

Neither of the schools I went to for my undergraduate work did this- a course given a W would be listed as a 0 credit course, removing any impact from the grade. Does this mean that med schools will recalculate my already anemic 2.7 so that those Ws are counted as failures? I have [goes to count...] 6 W grades accounting for 15 credits, so that would drop my overall GPA to a... 2.48. Awesome.
  • jimi44 Said:
I tried, but I don't think I'm going to pull out of a bad start at Organic 2 this semester. Between Micro and Biochem, it was just too much to do well. Or I'm stupid, not sure. I only pulled a C+ out of Organic 1, so maybe that means all this isn't meant to be.

Do note that I'm not aware of what the deal is with W grades counting as Fails on the transcript. That said, I'd take the time to calculate your GPA both ways. Go here and calculate your GPA with all your grades (as if you didn't drop the course). See what you get. Then change the course you're dropping to a W, and if you think spending the additional time elsewhere will increase your other grades, make those changes too. See what the difference is.

If med schools are going to count a W as an F (again, I'm not ignorant of this), then change the course you're dropping to an F to simulate it being dropped. Also make other changes as well. My opinion? If med schools will count the W as an F, and you're positive you'd fail it anyway, then go ahead and drop the course- spend your time elsewhere. If you think you could pull out a D, then you need to judge whether the increase in your other grades from the extra time and energy will sufficiently offset the grade being calculated as an F rather than a D.

Tell me if that made sense.

I think a W is easier to explain than a poor grade. If you can address wanting to concentrate more on Organic Chem 2 after completing your biochemistry course, and of course you repeat Organic Chem 2 and do well, that is a better bet.

Don’t know how AMCAS calculates grades with a W, but ACOMAS would substitute the good grade in Organic Chem for the W (grade replacement).

Kate

A W is not counted as an F, even if the grade is not replaced. This is the case in both AACOMAS and AMCAS. If you are at risk of getting a less than stellar grade, drop the course and take the W. I had a few Ws on my transcript that were not repeated and these were not detrimental to my GPA and were never brought up in interviews. In fact, Ws are not assigned any numerical value and are not factored in since no credits were earned. However, Fs count and are factored in.

Sorry, I appear to have given you bad info. At my undergrad institution, an unofficial withdrawal (UW) was counted as an F. A W was not.

After talking with the instructor, I may try and stick this course out. She has assured me that there will be a curve at the end of the course. I suppose if I don’t screw up too badly, at least a C is doable, and a B possible if I bust my ass.

Taking the courses over summer really does mess me up, as I have no place to live for those 10 weeks, and would have to likely sublease for the entire summer. Plus another $1000/course.

I definitely have to weigh this carefully. Of course I think I would do better with Organic 1 over the summer, as I really did learn a lot in the class. I just go overwhelmed with some mechanisms at the end…many of which I’ve had to learn for 2.

Tough decision. Last day to drop with a W is tomorrow…

This thread has been very helpful. I am taking a molecular genetics course. We had a test on Tuesday, and I knew coming out of that test that I did not do well. After the test was over, I had time to review what was on it and realized that I kept misreading the intent of the questions (a common problem for me). So I answered many of them incorrectly. We have not gotten back the test, but I suspect that I will get a D or an F.

This is not the first W that I have gotten; I think it will be my 4 or 5 over the last five years of school. But I don’t want to get any more C’s (I already have 5 of them in post-bacc, including 3 in repeated courses).