So I'm NOT crazy

I am 29 years old and starting medical school this year. Although I had always had it in my mind that I wanted to go to medical school, it was strongly discouraged by many during my early years (how will you raise a family, the schooling takes so long, etc.). Instead, I got my BA in 1996 for speech-language pathology and my MA in 1998 for speech pathology. Unsuprisingly, I am currently a licensed and practicing speech-language pathologist. I had to complete 2 full time externships in different placements prior to receiving my MA. Of course, my hospital externship reignited my dreams of becoming a doctor. I convinced myself to keep going and get my licensure for speech (9 month supervisory period after getting MA). Two years later, working in a “comfy” school position, I realized that I couldn’t ignore my dreams of pursuing medicine. That’s where the “crazy” part comes in - I decided to resign at the end of the year from my school position (and a large majority of speech paths. vie for school jobs, and openings are few and far between). I went fee-for-service with speech, working full time, and taking ALL my pre-reqs. within a year (including orgo. I and II over summer and only preparing for MCATS for 1 week - YIKES). The day after that craziness ended, (August 19, last year), I got engaged. Not really expecting to get in the first year, we set the wedding date for Nov. 9, 2002. Only fully applying to one school (the other 2 I sent initial applications, but didn’t do the secondaries because I did really want to leave the city my fiance was in, and he had a good position as an aerospace engineer), I was ecstatic when my first (and only at this point) choice asked me to interview. The next week, with shaking hands, I opened my acceptance letter. As far as I am concerned, August 12 (orientation week) can’t come soon enough. Finally, my dreams are being fulfilled. Wedding plans are almost complete, and the honeymoon will wait until after first year is complete - (in May). Congrats. to all of you other non-trad. students!

Quote (ttmonster @ July 19 2002 7:48 am)
working full time, and taking ALL my pre-reqs. within a year (including orgo. I and II over summer and only preparing for MCATS for 1 week - YIKES)... Only fully applying to one school ...I was ecstatic when my first (and only at this point) choice asked me to interview. The next week, with shaking hands, I opened my acceptance letter.

Wow! You and I lived exactly parallel lives that summer (excepting the fact that I have three sons). The only thing that could make the coincidence more bizarre would be if we've been accepted to the same med school. :)
I think one of the best things this forum does is reassure its readers that there are as many paths to med school as there are people who want to go. Orgo I, II and the MCAT in the space of 10 weeks isn't for everyone, but if the options are limited, it can be done.
Best of luck with everything.

Where are you going?

I am going to the State University of New York at Buffalo (or, for those that know of it, UB). :)

Albany Med here. Took orgo in Binghamton, which was a three hour round trip for me. That summer wasn't much fun!

:p That is NOT fun! I actually made up study cards to go over at every light I got stuck at when I was going between work appointments and when I was going to school. I think I averaged 2 hours of sleep a night (practice for residency) :)

Congrats. I see a lot of myself in your story. I was always interested in medical school, but have also felt discouraged by the many “challenges” it holds. I am now an occupational therapy graduate student at age 28, and am finding that this route, however hard I try, is not satisfying my dreams as much as I would hope. Your story is really encouraging-thanks.

Quote (wfredette @ July 20 2002 8:35 pm)
Albany Med here. Took orgo in Binghamton, which was a three hour round trip for me. That summer wasn't much fun!

You must have had LoTempio. I LOVED him! Always pulling up his pants... :D
Quote (christina @ July 24 2002 2:21 pm)
You must have had LoTempio. I LOVED him! Always pulling up his pants... :D

I DID have LoTempio! :laugh: He was great. Although I could have done without his first-day pep talk about how anyone taking the lecture AND the lab should seriously reconsider, that the Orgo II was at least a letter grade harder than Orgo I and that taking the MCAT that same summer was suicidal.
I wish I had a nickel for every time he said the word "ex-ack-atickly." The best line he ever threw in during one of his meanderings was about being a poor kid and having a grapefruit for a pet, but that grapefruits make lousy pets because they go for the eyes. Something about that got a snort out of me while the rest of the class was catatonic.
A really good guy who seemed to love his work. Tough tester, though. I'm glad I had him.

LOL!!! I forgot all about his form of exactly. “In your mind’s eye…” I know he had a number of funny things he used to say. (most funny/odd, rather than funny/haha) I remember his story of when margarine(then called oleo) came out. He said it was gray and they had to paint it yellow to look like butter. Ew!
Unfortunately, I took that class a while back and have to re-take all my pre-reqs as I am outside the statute of limitations. (between 7-10 years, depending on the school) I retook Gen Chem I & II this summer - the teacher for that class gave us the same lecture. Why try to talk me out of it?
I really feel for you though. That is brutal. Was that just last summer?? Gosh, I was working about a half mile away from BU. I hope you emailed him and let him know that you did it, and now you’re in!
(I am really not looking forward to retaking it!!! :( )

Quote (christina @ July 25 2002 11:10 am)
I remember his story of when margarine(then called oleo) came out. He said it was gray and they had to paint it yellow to look like butter. Ew!
I really feel for you though. That is brutal. Was that just last summer?? Gosh, I was working about a half mile away from BU. I hope you emailed him and let him know that you did it, and now you're in!
(I am really not looking forward to retaking it!!! :( )

He still uses the Oleo story. Said he and his brother caught his mother hiding under the kitchen table painting the margarine yellow.
Yes, it was last summer that I did orgo/MCAT. It was when they were resurfacing 17W, so that added about 20 minutes to my already 80 minute drive each way. No A/C in the labs. I remember a lot of failed attempts at making grignards...
I'd like to e-mail him, but I don't have his address. I'll check the Binghamton web site, but I think he's only loosely affiliated with them. Best of luck with your re-take. I'm sure it will all come back to you: stereochemistry, NMR problems, retrosynthesis... :;):