So on your advice I'm reading Intern Blues

It just arrive last week and I finally sat down to read the other day. I didn’t get long, that day but yesterday had some time and it is captivating (I think I’m half way through already). However, it’s terrifying too. Eeesh. I’m glad one of the interns is a mother. It helps me recognize what internship may be like. I’m just glad my youngest will be in preschool by then.

A tad overwhelming and exciting all at the same time.

Reading the recent post - I too picked up a copy of the book. Although I don’t have any children, I do enjoy reading “Amy’s” perspective. I do want kids one day and if they come (planned or unplanned) in the middle of med school and/or residency it’s nice to see what it could be like.

But, how much of the book is relevant to today’s intern programs? The hours? Yes, they have instituted the “80-hour rule” but is it ever really followed today? I’m also amazed at the brutal honesty of their accounts of fear, lack of superior advice and even attitudes of clerks, nurses, lab tech, etc??? … it’s a lot to swallow.

I can’t wait for my husband & other family members to find the time to read it. Can anyone recommend any other good reads out there along the same content?

Did you finish it? I was a little upset with the 10 year epilogue.

I think nurse attitudes are very similar today honestly. They think they are the end all to diagnostics and patient care. Some of them do know more than younger/newer doctors (I’ve met a few). Some of them have chips on their shoulders the size of Montanna. I know working with lactation, I’ve met far too many nurses who tried to educate my clients and ended up really messing things up for the mothers’ milk supplies. I’ve actually had them try to “educate” me when I bring my baby into the clinic on breastfeeding and I just laugh at them, knowing full well, I have 7 years invested in pretty intense lactational studies.

But there are good nurses out there who truely care for their patients and that becomes a good thing when physicians are not paying close enough attention or worse yet, agenda pushing.

I guess it’s a dance we dance, or learn to dance. There’s got to be a balance in it all. We as (would be) physicians, using all the available resources to meet our patients needs. I guess we’ll figure it out as we go along. It should be quite the ride.

And hey, with an infant still waking to nurse, and an 8 year old who’s NEVER slept through the night, I’m used to surviving off of no sleep. That part should be easy at least. Haha!

can you tell me who wrote the book? I’m a little lost…as per usual.

Robert Marion M.D.

I’ll do even better and provide you w/ an amazon link.

http://www.amazon.com/Intern-Blues-Timeless -Classi…

Thanks so much!!!

If you ever want more suggestions, I have an amazingly extensive medical narrative and non-narrative medical “mini” library. There are quite a few books that I would suggest. Intern Blues is a classic for sure, a friend of mine, who is just completing their RN, wanted badly to go into Peds. I thought I would suggest that they read Intern Blues before making that committment. They are now reevaluating their decision, which is probably a intelligent move on their part…Enjoy!

I have a one word response to this book…Pathology!!

I read this book and frankly thought the guy was a big whiner. Internship IS terrifying but isn’t that what you sign up for when you go to medical school - to be a doctor, to be the one responsible? I wanted to yell, “Suck it up!” to him several times in the course of the book.

Mary

Ha Mary! I found the guy who was depressed often the same. But he made it. I was more disappointed in Amy quite frankly, being I have kids and I was rooting more for her.

Maddux, definitely keep the recommendations coming. I have spring breaks and winter breaks to do leisure reading. I say the more I read the more I go into this “eyes wide open”.

I read that book while enroute to my post-med school graduation vacation. I wished I had never picked it up. It had been a gift to me from my sister. It jades your experience before you even start.

Susan,

When you have the chance, check out “Something For The Pain” it is fairly new, but it is involving a non-traditional E.R. Doc. This doctor has his email in the book and I have corresponded with him about his story a few times, he is an excellent person. I urge you to check it out…LET ME KNOW IF YOU DO!!

• tec Said:
I read that book while enroute to my post-med school graduation vacation. I wished I had never picked it up. It had been a gift to me from my sister. It jades your experience before you even start.

Well, yes and no. Sometimes I wish someone had compiled a book like this for pastors and pastors wives. Perhaps not so many people would go in completely unprepared like we were for the annimosity thrown at the position alone. I see the similarities between the interns first year and our first year as pastors (complete with middle of the night phone calls). I honestly feel a little more prepared for the negative things that may lie ahead than I did when my husband took that first position. Knowledge is power I say. If you aren't blind sided, it can't crush you, right?
  • maddux31 Said:
Susan,

When you have the chance, check out "Something For The Pain" it is fairly new, but it is involving a non-traditional E.R. Doc. This doctor has his email in the book and I have corresponded with him about his story a few times, he is an excellent person. I urge you to check it out..LET ME KNOW IF YOU DO!!

Let me grab it and put it on my shelf for spring break, which is supposed to be spent in NYC w/ a friend pursuing a PA degree. Perhaps we'll both take on some leisure reading that week. We'll be too broke to hit up broadway every night, so we'll need other forms of entertainment.

Susan,

Sounds like a plan!! You definitely need to drop him an email after you read the book! You will enjoy it!

Who wrote the book? I would definitely like to read this.

I provided a link and the author around post number 5 of this thread. Just scroll up.

Being in the middle of residency now, I think they painted a picture much worse than it really is. I think you end up expecting it to be that way and you end up missing many of the good parts of being an intern. For example, when you are the junior resident, you have the closest relationship with patients and their families of everyone on the team. YOU are their doctor as YOU are the one that the see the most. I actually miss that now as the senior resident on the inpatient service as I don’t want to take that relationship away from my juniors as I want them to develop and appreciate that positive aspect of their work. I would be lying if I didn’t say that their is a lot of secretarial work (typing notes, entering computer orders). I think that gets lost in their grumblings in the book. So, my point is that I think it jades you before you start and you just may miss the good points.

With the institution of work-hours rules, things are hit-and-miss better and worse (and is a whole other topic).

Well I have just started reading Intern Blues and so far I feel like if those cry babies can take it then I definitely can. My boyfriend is amused because I read it with a half smirk on my face. The local library didn’t have “Something for the Pain” although they are promising to get it from another branch for me I think someone posted that they were most interested in reading Amy’s story and I have to admit I was too, because she has a baby and a husband. I’m only a few chapters in and I’ll finish it, just because I’m OCD like that. But I don’t plan on taking any of these books too seriously, like Tara said, I don’t want a book to have me be jaded toward my internship before I even get there.

Rhonda,

You will definitely LOVE “Something for the Pain” I mentioned that I have had a few interactions with the author of the book, since it is about him, and he is calling himself Non-Trad. Make sure to tell him about the site (oldpremeds) I did as well. I forgot to mention, the way I interacted with him, is that he list his website somewhere in the book or on the jacket of the front or back cover, there he welcomes emails from the readers…Take advantage of it!

I am curious, are you reading the re-released version of Intern Blues, where the author does a 20 year follwo up on his interns? I hope so, that way you can see where they ended up…BTW-It was either 10 or 20 years, I believe 20 though! Enjoy…

-Maddux…

PS- I can keep recommending, as long as you enjoy my recommendations!!