South Florida type upper div courses

• madkasia Said:
I'd take cell biology! It will get you started for the MCAT review + a good portion of medical school biochemistry.

Is there any way you can take genetics in the fall and cell biology in the spring?

I just think that genetics will be less work than cell biology. It's mostly understanding, while cell biology is lots of reading, which might be hard on top of other classes you're taking.

Just a thought.

Sure I can take either genetics or cell bio in the fall. I'm on the fence though. I think it might behoove me to take a class where I'm doing more reading rather than calculating and constructing though, since that will take up a whole lot of my time with orgo and physics .

But if cell bio helps me prepare for my MCATS then that takes precedence…

It’s medical school not botanical school. :slight_smile:

Pretend that you are on the Admissions Committee and you have two equally qualified candidates, and only one acceptance to offer. One applicant has biochemistry (BTW, it’s required at a number of medical schools) and one has plant biology (not a course you generally see in med school…). Which applicant would you choose?

Cheers,

Judy

Certainly the former!! Well put. That is the bottom line then. I just have to be wise with my course selection and choose classes that are balanced and relevant to med school.

Case and point: I’m opting to not take forensic bio OR morphology of vascular plants this semester, which would satisfy one of my last elective categories. I’ll wait until spring so I can take a shot at either developmental bio or neuroscience (both of which I think are much more relevant). Slim pickin’ !!

But no more plant classes for me, sorry south florida