Started with Post Bacc Program THIS WEEK!!!

Hello All!!

I have started with my post bacc pre req classes, and I had an assessment done today to test my abilities (Chem 1). I received a 2/10! CRAZY!! I have been out of school for 6 years post graduate school and I really have no idea if I should take a remedial course or continue with CHEM 1. I am currently a Speech-Language Pathologist and I am trying to get my “mind right” for studying again. I feel a little discouraged, but knew that I was not going to do as well as expected, bc my last CHEM class was in UNDERGRAD!! Any suggestions?

You will need some algebra along the way, but there is no reason you can’t get an “A” as long as you focus and study hard. You won’t know if you don’t try. I would suggest adopting a kick *&%$ attitude and prove that silly pre-test as inadequate and a waste of time and emotional energy.

Thank you sooo much Ltap93 for your words of encouragement. My frown has been turned into a smile!!

TXSLP

On the first test in CHEM 1, I had a bad algebra grade (and I was math geek). Yet I averaged over 100 at the end of the semester. First I didn’t know that there was a test. Second I hadn’t done algebra for about 15 years or so, I have been using computers!

Don’t be discouraged. No big deal. You need very very very basic algebra for Chemistry 1. Like solving an equation of the first order. That’s pretty much it.

You will do great and I can guarantee that this grade is no reflection of Chem grade.

Good luck

Sounds like you’ve gotten great advice regarding the chem assessment already. I just wanted to add a congratulations for taking that first step and wish you the best on your first term as a post-bacc. Good luck and best wishes to you!

I would suggest getting EARLY help from the teaching assistant (if there is one) or professor if you don’t understand something. Write out questions that occur to you as you are reading the material/doing problems. Being walked thru how to approach chemistry and chemistry problems will get you cruising ahead soon!

Kate