Statistics: Those Of You Who Got Into a DO Program

…how many did you apply to vs. how many did you get into?

Applied to 11. Got into 3, waitlisted at 1, and priority listed at another. Also, I cancelled an interview at one school that people tell me that you get accepted if you get an interview - unless of course you’re a baboon.
Good luck

This may be a very dumb question ( ), but what’s so wrong with the school that you had to cancel your interview because you knew from another source that an invitation to interview is a guaranteed seat in school? May I ask which school that was?
Thanks!

So, anyone else?
I’m curious if applying to 3 - or possibly 4 - and hoping for one admission is unrealistic (Distant GPA: A steaming pile, Recent GPA: A 4.0, MCAT: 33). I’m a bit limited in the locations that my personal situation will allow.

You know what, if you are limited by geography, you’re limited - no sense applying to a bunch of schools that would be difficult or impossible to attend. The challenge for you is to make your application really attractive and it certainly sounds like your stats help in that regard.
I was absolutely, positively unwilling to move, and applied to two M.D. schools with a good u’grad GPA (but ordinary BCPM), 4.0 post-bacc, and 32 MCAT. I realize things have gotten tougher in the five years since but I got accepted at one school, waitlisted at the other. In my personal statement I emphasized my strong desire to stay in my home community and made it a selling point for me.
If you’re applying to fewer schools, you want your PS and secondary to show even more than usual that you know a lot about the school and its surroundings - it demonstrates your interest.
Another thought (sorry this is disjointed, I’m writing in a hurry): apply only to those schools you are geographically comfortable with this time. IF you don’t get accepted, and frankly I think that’s unlikely, then your comfort zone for where you can live MAY expand some as you contemplate what you need to do to achieve your goal. But right now I see applying to schools you don’t want to go to as a waste of time and money - only do it if you have to, I guess I’m saying. Hope this makes sense.
Mary

Quote:

This may be a very dumb question ( ), but what’s so wrong with the school that you had to cancel your interview because you knew from another source that an invitation to interview is a guaranteed seat in school? May I ask which school that was?
Thanks!

Nothing wrong with the school at all, and in fact I think I would have been happy there. I also felt good that they sent me, an out of state student, an invite, which is rare. By the time they sent me the invite to interview I already had three acceptances with deposits down. Also, I wanted a PBL program, which the school did not have.

Mary, you are awesome! Your advice to the OP was serendiptous. I, too, am limited geographically. It’s pretty much impossible for us to move, even if I wanted to, which I don’t. So, I have only two realistic choices when it comes time to apply - OSU COM, which is here in Tulsa, and OU Medical, which is in Oklahoma City. And I’m only planning on applying to OSU COM (not just because it’s here in town, but mainly because I really want to be a DO). Thanks for the great advice. (And since I still have two years of premed ahead of me, I plan on printing up your post, to save for when I really need it.)

I agree, great advise. Ever thought of writing a book Mary? You could assemble lots of your posts from this here site…

Quote:

…how many did you apply to vs. how many did you get into?

Boeing-
I applied to 11 DO schools (10 out of state and 1 state). I got sec’s from all. I only sent back 9 sec’s. I received 7 interview invites. I was and I’m still waitlisted at my state school…bastages!!! I was accepted at the first 3 out of state schools I interviewed at and I declined the remaining 3 interviews. You have excellent stats to get into a DO school from a numbers sense. As long as the rest of your package is decent, then I would say that you can afford to keep the numbers of schools you apply to at a low number.

Quote:

You have excellent stats to get into a DO school from a numbers sense. As long as the rest of your package is decent, then I would say that you can afford to keep the numbers of schools you apply to at a low number.

I agree - Boeing. I don’t think you have to worry about your numbers. How is the rest of the package?

Chris,
I didn’t get my rejection letter from TCOM until almost May of this year!!
Kathy

Quote:

Chris,
I didn’t get my rejection letter from TCOM until almost May of this year!!
Kathy

I almost wish that I had just been downright rejected. It’s forced my family and I to make huge life changes. We’re having to make changes that I always said that I would never do in order to get into medical school, but here I am about to embark on the first year of my medschool journey WITHOUT my family in K’ville. Never say never. I’m soooo lucky that I have a wife that stands behind me in supporting my/our dream. TCOM has had and will continue to keep us hanging until the end of July, so we had no choice but to let the family stay for the first year. It would be highly impossible to be able to sell the home and move within a mere 3 weeks before KCOM starts. It will be tough, but then it may be a GOD send seeing how I will be able to concentrate more heavily on my studies w/out as much family responsibilities. Don’t even get me started on the financial hardship that all this has caused having to support two households. OK, stepping away from the podium and realizing how fortunate I am to have the opportunity to follow my dream!
P.S. Best of luck to you, Mo, and family in British land!

The rest of the package: Been volunteering at a local hospital for a year and a half, have two job shadowing experience this year on two occasions, parents were both doctors,and other than that have been working for around the last decade or so.
That’s about the extent of it.

Quote:

The rest of the package: Been volunteering at a local hospital for a year and a half, have two job shadowing experience this year on two occasions, parents were both doctors,and other than that have been working for around the last decade or so.
That’s about the extent of it.

Boeing-
I’d say you would be a sure bet to get into a DO program. The fact that your parents were/are both docs says alot in regards to “knowing” what a physicians work/personal life is like. Were they both DO’s or MD’s? Just curious…

Applied to & got secondaries from 10. Only returned 5 secondaries: 2 interviews, 2 acceptances, 2 rejections & 1 I still don’t know about - but, ya know, I think I could get an acceptance from PCOM any day now…LOL!!!

I applied to 4. Got interview invites for 4. Was accepted by 2, rejected by 1 and declined the other. Also applied to 2 MD schools, accepted by one but seem to be missing in action at the other. I had decent “old” grades, 4.0 current grades, MCAT a little less impressive than yours, and some nifty community service stuff on my app. I concur with Mary’s advice to you.
wmkayak
MSUCOM 2008