Student Loan Insurance and Adcom Interviews

I hate to think about it, but given the amount of debt at stake here, is there a way to insure student loans in the event that I become disabled or die prior to them being paid off? My main concern is obviously to protect my family (mom, dad, sister, spouse). Has anyone heard of medical school loan insurance? Is it even necessary?

Also, regarding interviews, how important is it that I am up to date about current events in the medical community? For instance, stem cell research. Is it appropriate to express your stance on issues like this during an interview? Are adcoms going to expect you to be up to date on political controversy/views/atmosph ere on such topics?

I don’t begin premed until this fall, so I know I’m looking really far ahead right now, but I’m moreso curious.

As for the loan insurance, I don’t know. Interesting idea though, maybe a potential buisness idea :).

Adcoms like to know that you know what your getting into. Current issues surrounding medicine have an impact on your future as a physician. So yes, they like you to be at least familiar with all the major stuff that’s going on.

They’re less likely to care what your stance is on an issue than the fact that you’ve assimilated multiple sources and have a broader view of things.

Now if you say for instance your interested in regenerative medicine then you have best looked pretty deepling into all the current legalese surrounding stem cell research and be able to speak on it.

If you die or become permanently disabled, your federal student loans will be discharged.

I knew a guy who was a raving gun rights advocate. He even incorporated his diehard NRA views into his personal statement and was asked about it during his interviews. He got in (it was of the Michigan allopathic schools) as an out-of-state resident. He is now a family practice physician. Ironically, he now practices in a state where he can’t get a concealed weapon permit.

SomedayDrAnderson,

Your federal student loans are discharged in the event of your death or permanent disability. In the event of temporary disability, you can request a forebearance. You should not need to purchase any type of insurance unless you’re borrowing outside of a federal or state student loan program.

As far as interviews go, most adcoms have a list of standardized questions they use. I was a student interviewer for my medical school’s adcom this past year and the questions we ask interviewees are designed to elicit the following:

1. To assess whether the applicant can effectively problem solve or be introspective with regard to interpersonal relationships.

2. To explore the applicant’s engagement, sincerity, and passion.

3. To discern whether the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the demands of medical training and of the skills needed to be successful in his/her career and elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

Very helpful! Thank you!

I have life insurance to cover the private loans my dad has co-signed on.

Also, Wayne requires us to buy a disability insurance upon registering each year for classes. Don’t know how much it would pay, or what not, I just give them my $37 check.

I have not heard of any type of insurance protecting against loans. Also, if your debt is high, your insurance payment would likely be pretty high as well. Also, if you die, i don’t think it is your family’s responsibility to pay them off.

• Yerivf Said:
Also, Wayne requires us to buy a disability insurance upon registering each year for classes. Don't know how much it would pay, or what not, I just give them my $37 check.

That's a bargain! I have to write a $50 check for my required disability insurance upon registering each year for classes.
  • Kelly3 Said:
I have not heard of any type of insurance protecting against loans.

Kelly3,

I don't think Yerivf is talking about insurance protecting against loans. She's referring to mandatory disability insurance that our respective medical schools require us to pay each year. The idea of this insurance is not to cover long-term loan debt if we become permanently disabled or die. It is rather intended to serve as a short term way to pay for our rent, groceries, etc. if we have to take a temporary leave of absence from school due to health reasons and have no other source of income while waiting for the next term to begin.

• Kelly3 Said:
Also, if you die, i don't think it is your family's responsibility to pay them off.

This only applies to government-backed student loans. Private loans (not guaranteed or loaned by a government agency or the school) have their own repayment terms that vary from lender to lender. Your estate could get stuck with the unpaid bill from a private loan posthumously, depending on the terms of the contract you sign. Most students take out government or government-backed student loans though.