Study: What science classes to take as a premed?

In the December 2005 issue of “The Advisor” (Journal of the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions), a research study was published addressing the question “Academic Preparation for Medical School: What Second Year Medical Students Perceive to be Important.” (Pp.36-42).
To paraphrase and summarize, 2nd year med students strongly advised undergrads to take more upper division bio courses, especially: histology, physiology, immuno, endocrinology and biochemistry. "Biological sciences were clearly seen as the most important for first year success…[students representing] All majors indicated a need for more upper division bio courses."
The conclusion "reinforces some earlier studies of 4th year med students showing a correlation between ugrad preparation and medical school performance."
This study supports what admissions officers often want to know when looking at an application & transcript: Did this person take more advanced work in biology (no matter what the major), and how did s/he do?
Something to consider when you are planning coursework beyond the pre-med requirements.
Cheers,
Judy
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I totally agree and was somewhat irritated when the pre-reqs never included things like biochem/histo/physio etc…once you are in the thick of it you wonder “why” they do not have more pre-reqs? although some folks tend to think “oh you will learn all you need in medical school” let’s be realistic for a second, those with a more rigorous undergrad background DO better in medical school period. Sure, there are some folks that never took a science course except the bare minimum and kick arse but this is not the majority. This study comes to prove that my thoughts were on par with other folks…

This does indeed make sense, because if I did not have my stepdad who is a dentist (so he knows plenty of doctors and what’s needed), I would have had no clue from looking at med school requirements that histology, physiology, etc. were important. Pretty much every requirement list, atleast for California medical schools, do mention biochemistry but that’s about it. And it’s not required, just strongly recommended.

Many med schools “strongly recommend” these additional courses. I figured out about halfway through undergrad that it was their way of saying “you should really have these courses, but we are not going to require them at this point.” I mean, if they had two applicants exactly the same in every respect, except one had taken these strongly recommended courses, who would they pick? It seems obvious.
Besides, it makes more and more sense because of the exponential growth of knowledge since the 1990’s in the area. They will eventually have to increase the length of med school, or require more upper level bio courses from applicants. Currently it is easiest to do the latter.

Thanks! This is very valuable advice. It’s great to have a forum like this where pertinet, realistic information is provided - this forum is a real gift to pre-meds.
Have a blessed 2006!
jeffc

I would just add that the laboratory experience is much more meaningful in sophomore- and junior-level classes like Organic Chemistry and Molecular/Cell Biology than in the intro courses. You may be denying yourself “the real thing” if you don’t take a couple of these non-prereq classes.

Well that’s encouraging, because the labs I did for my general biology class at the community college im at now were so ridiculously stupid I now have a permanent bad taste in my mouth for labs…if their actually more interesting later on that’ll be great.

Quote:

Well that’s encouraging, because the labs I did for my general biology class at the community college im at now were so ridiculously stupid I now have a permanent bad taste in my mouth for labs…if their actually more interesting later on that’ll be great.

It depends, but for the most part his point is right on. Ecology, for example, is usually “upper level,” but the labs are ridiculous. But then, ecology lecture is pretty ridiculously trite as well. Physiology, cell, anatomy, immunology, micro, biochem, etc. are usually much better than intro classes. It also depends on the school. The local CC here has much better labs than the local Universities. This is probably because they have a real instructor teaching them instead of a TA.

Well, hopefully the labs will be better at CSU Fullerton or Chico since I plan to go to one of the two. Their both known as extremely good universities, especially for pre-meds, so here’s hoping the labs there are interesting. The time flies by a lot faster if you’re not bored during a three hour lab.