Stumbling Blocks

Okay. . . I got your attention, right?
Here’s the deal. I read this in the paper today and felt like I had to share it with you guys. The fact is that it describes the situations we often put ourselves in as we make the decision to become doctors and begin the journey we must travel to get there.
Enjoy the reading!!
“When I was a Boy Scout, we played a game when new Scouts joined the troop. We lined up chairs in a pattern, creating an obstacle course through which the new Scouts, blindfolded, were supposed to maneuver. The Scoutmaster gave them a few moments to study the pattern before our adventure began. But as soon as the victims had been blindfolded, the rest of us quietly removed the chairs.
I think life is like this game. We spend our lives avoiding obstacles we have created for ourselves which, in reality, exist only in our minds. We’re afraid to apply for that job, take violin lessons, learn a foreign language, call an old friend – whatever it is that we would really like to do, but don’t because of perceived obstacles.
Don’t avoid any chairs until you run smack into one. And if you do, at least you’ll have a place to sit down.”
by Pierce Vincent Eckhart

Great article.
I was just discussing with my husband about how saying "I can’t because… " unsure.gif actually creates it’s own blockade.
My brother says you have to create your own internal dialogue that makes it possible for you to accomplish the things you want in life.
I’m trying to take all this great advice to heart. Easier on some days than others! biggrin.gif

This quote is probably not 100% as I heard it, but here goes:
"If your mind can perceive it, you can achieve it."
I was taught that visualization (in great detail) was the first step to fulfilling your goal. Also, to never speak negative or anti-objective statements as you were convincing your subconscious that the goal was not achievable. Avoid negative thoughts, but whatever you do, certainly never speak the dream killing words.
Kids are limitless in their minds. Only when the adult world whips them into shape by telling them “thats not possible” do they sink to mediocrity. We can learn so much from them.
Terrific story Linda. Good luck to all.
Bryan

This struck a chord with me–here’s an excerpt of an e-mail to a friend, talking about my decision to enter med school. Actually, it’s a segue from a conversation about a S.A.D. light and I had dropped the med school bomb on him in an earlier e-mail:
“But now that it’s sunny on my morning bike rides
again, I don’t need it so much. I’ve actually heard myself say that I
love the outdoors. I cannot tell you what a change this is for a girl
from the suburbs of New Orleans, someone who was once capable of getting
in the car to go to the corner drugstore. But I love the fresh air (WHO
IS THAT TYPING HERE) and was just so depressed this fall at the thought
that I’d have to put my bike away soon. So I thought, well, who says I
have to? Maybe I can bike into November. I started looking for tips on
staying warm on a bike, and before I knew it, I was reading
"Bikewinter.org”, a Web site for Chicago winter bicycle commuters. I was
hooked. I had to try this.
Often, when I ask myself “who says I can’t?” it turns out that the one who
said I can’t was me. And I was wrong. So we’ll see if this applies to
med school as well. "

That`s great Linda. And can really relate to this.