stupid question

I went to a community college for two years and when I transferred to Stony Brook, they wiped my GPA clean, took the credits but not the grades. Do I still need to report those grades to AMCAS? My guess is yes but if there is some reason, it is no, I thought I’d ask.

Hi Calvin. As they say, “no question is a stupid question.” Although, I have to say that when I heard a student ask whether she could makeup a test because the scheduled exam was at 8:00 and she didn’t think she could get up and ready in time, that I strongly felt I had found a stupid question. But, I digress…
In my understanding of the instructions (downloaded from the link provided by Judy Colwell on this site) it is required that a person document every class taken, whether a person withdrew, didn’t receive a grade, etc. and include a grade when one was given. The transcripts from all schools attended must be sent directly to AMCAS from the school’s registar’s (or similar) office, so those classes taken at each institution will need to be accounted for on the application.
Good luck in the process.

Larry is correct. AMCAS requires that you list all schools attended and then will not process your application until transcripts are received from all of those institutions. The fact that one instute accepted credits for transfer from one institution does not negate the requirement to submit a transcript from that school.
Good luck in the application process. No question is dumb in this endeavor. Please keep posting them because you are probably not the only person who has them.
Tara

Your grades were not “wiped clean” just not awarded at the second college. I had to have both transcripts sent in for my Med School. You still have a transcript at the other college and AMCAS will calc your GPA from all your grades.
Cheers Bill.

You need to submit transcripts for EVERY unit of college work (ugrad and grad) that you have ever attempted. This includes any college credit you may have received while in high school. If there is a transcript somewhere, AMCAS wants it.
And for those who have repeated course work and your original grade was replaced on the transcript with something akin to an “RP” (for repeat), AMCAS wants you to record what that original grade was. It factors both the original grade and the repeated grade into the AMCAS gpa.
Cheers,
Judy

What if you find an error on your transript? There were two classes I took a LONG time ago and am working with the school to fix it but the prof has retired and can’t be found, at least not by me, any ideas?

I dunno, Have you asked to see the regitrar and disscuss the error and the policy if you cannot find the instructor, can some one override them? I would believe each school is different.

Judy,
I know that the AMACS application does break down grades into science/math and other course; do they also break down undergrad, grade, and post-bacc?
Thanks…see you in DC
Rich

Quote:

I know that the AMACS application does break down grades into science/math and other course; do they also break down undergrad, grade, and post-bacc?

They do. Not only is is broken down by year (frosh, etc.) but also by BCPM (bio, chem, phys, math), AO (all other) and CUMMULATIVE, but also by undergrade (and totals for each breakdown), Post-bacc, a grand ugrad total (includes p/b), and then graduate work. Quite a matrix.
Cheers,
Judy

Wow. They’ll have fun with mine then. The only grades I am having trouble getting are from my year in France. They are included in my SUNY SB transcript but not listed in my online transcript b/c they weren’t included in my GPA. I am calling AMCAS today to see how to enter them into their system. I can get the actual grades when I get back to DC, Georgetown has my stuff there.
As my I am taking a lab class – and maybe a physiology class if I can afford it – my GTown grades won’t be complete until early August. I cannot believe most of this program is done. The B+ in orgo 2 was not what I wanted really but as most of the class failed the final. I just can’t get over this being almost done (this part).
Thank you for all your help.
The class where they made a mistake was taken so long ago they are having a hard time with what to do. I have some friends working on contacting the instructor and I have contacted the Dean about it. They have this academic review where you can request they look over your transcript and if you go back there and take 12 credits, while maintaining a certain GPA, they will review it. I asked them to waive the requirement that the 12 credits be taken there (this was a community college, I would think having a GPA well above their minimum at Georgetown would prove the same point). After all is said and done, this might not actually change my GPA all that much but I am going to do what they can.
AMCAS said they enter the grades they get from my transcripts so it doesn’t matter which I put in, which begs another question: If they enter your grades from the transcripts, what is the point of entering it all in? Is that just to make the process more challenging?
All I have to say is THANK GOD for online unofficial transcrpits!

Quote:

If they enter your grades from the transcripts, what is the point of entering it all in? Is that just to make the process more challenging?

Do you question a Super 8 Ball when it predicts your future? No?? Then do not try to question AMCAS! They work in mysterious ways. For example, they classified my zero credit Introductory Fencing class under “Education,” in the same category as the “Introduction to Educational Studies” class I took. I have still not figured out how a class that required us to wear fencing helmets and run around on a field could fall into the same group as one where we visited elementary school classrooms and read about childhood in Japan, but that’s AMCAS logic.

By the way, take extreme care in checking over your AMCAS application after it’s been processed too. I couldn’t believe some of the errors they made with mine. They weren’t helpful in correcting them either. If there is the slightest complexity to your academic record, be ready to deal with them at length. Hopfully you won’t have to, but I’m just saying you should be prepared in case you do.

Grrr. I’m sure my bitterness is not showing through at all here. ;-(

Quote:

AMCAS said they enter the grades they get from my transcripts so it doesn’t matter which I put in, which begs another question: If they enter your grades from the transcripts, what is the point of entering it all in? Is that just to make the process more challenging?

In the past (and I cannot find this information right at the moment in the “AMCAS 2006 Student Application Help” .pdf that is available to all applicants), if you had more than 10 entry errors on your AMCAS transcript form, AMCAS would not continue to check for veracity but would return it to you to fix. That’s a delay for your application.
Please carefully(!) read pgs 66ff in the Help documentation. It is very useful.
Cheers,
Judy

Quote:

I think it’s just so they don’t have to do the typing. Why should they do it when we’ll do it for free?