Success story for y'all

Since this forum was where I started my journey several years ago, I thought I would come back to update y’all that this whole silly dream can be accomplished.

I left my “real” job in my late 20s to take an 8-5 so I could go back to school in the evenings with medical school as a goal. I had an advantage that I had kept a very strong GPA through my initial undergraduate career, but my degree was in an extremely different field and I had almost no hard science courses to my credit. I did 2.5 years of a do-it-yourself post bacc at my local CC plus a couple supplemental prereqs elsewhere, got strong science letters of rec and good grades, then self-studied for the MCAT and about peeled myself off the ceiling after I saw my score.

Still, as a non-trad with mostly CC prereqs (not to mention LoR), I wasn’t sure how my application would go over, so I applied to 20+ schools. Turns out admissions committees love career-changing non-trads with good numbers. I received IIs to more than half of my applications and as of tonight have received acceptances to 60ish percent of the places I interviewed. And it all started with this forum and the idea that being in my late 20s in a totally different career didn’t mean I couldn’t circle back to medicine.

So feel free to PM me if you have any questions or ask me here. Or if not, just know that there is a light at the end of the pre-med tunnel. I kind of suspect it’s the train of medical school, but I’m so ready for that train to finally be here.

Congrats on your acceptance! Feel free to reach out to those of us currently in school if we can help you with anything.

@Papergirl Congratulations on your success! Your hard work paid off and is very encouraging to the rest of us who follow behind you. Thank you for sharing your story!

Thanks for that! I’m in my late 20’s as well and looking to take my last class to satisfy pre-reqs. I’m in a similar boat in terms of grades. This is a great motivator to make sure I knock the MCAT out of the park!