Supporting a family pre-med to throughout med school on loans

Greetings!

I am taking the last class I need for my associate of arts this summer and will be ready to transfer to a 4 year university this fall.

I am working full time and I have a wife and 3 children. My wife only works part time and so I am the primary money maker.

The job market for my profession is saturated. Once I leave my job I will be unable to find full time work perhaps even part time work will be difficult. Looking at the courses at the four year university I would be lucky to take one class per semester so being 29 this fall I want to get going and be a full time student.

I have 2-3 years I imagine preparing for med school with pre reqs retakes and bachelor classes.

Any suggestions on how my family and I can transition into me going to school full time and surviving? I am fine with goverment assistance and living off loans but I am worried about my family.

Thoughts?

Thank You kindly!

Hi Jorsen

taking that from someone who has absolutely no experience with the issue and given that there are no certainties when it comes to Med School, I would think carefully here.

I have a wife and 2 kids. She is the bread winner while I am the part-timer, so things are different. Yet I would not stop working as long as I am not in Med School.

I think doing so before is quite a risk. You are 29 and most of us here are older. Age and time shouldn’t be viewed as a constrain.

I would be careful, take it easy and do things smartly. If you quit your job and eventually don’t get in Med School, what do you do? Not that you may not be smart enough but life happens and there are 100 possible things that could happen that would prevent you from entering Med School.

Anyway this is just my opinion and it is not worth much…

Good luck.

Not sure what field you’re in, but I was able to work full time for the first 3 years of school. It definitely depends on the flexibility of your work environment, but if you approach your management about it before it becomes an issue it could work out.

Admittedly, the 3rd year of doing so was a problem, and I had to cut back hours for my 4th year, significantly cut back for the final year, and quit entirely to complete my last semester with some shred of sanity.

Perhaps your wife can transition to full time work over the next few years, while you are still working full time and starting school less than 12 credits? Or perhaps you can work like mad for a few more years to build up a buffer and not risk financial hardship when you quit working?

Just some ideas. Good luck!

It sounds as if keeping my job is the only realistic goal?

My primary focus is getting IN to med school but I have a incredibly strong interest in Neurosurgery. I work with Neurosurgeons almost everyday and being involved with the O.R. staff along with them has given me a great taste for that lifestyle.

My concern though is that in general for subspecialties such as that the older you are the less favorable you are viewed.

My concern is getting in quickly. I am hopeful it is possible, but I am not sure.

-JNR

That is such a tough one!! I know I couldn’t do it especially since the trek is suck a long one.

Talk with your wife alot before proceeding without the support of your family it won’t be worth it imo.

I’m in the same boat as you (wife & kids). I quit my full-time job so I could go back to school this spring semester. I found an evening job that pays much less than I use to make. I’m pretty sure I go through Gonnif’s FUD phases multiple times a day because of this financial sacrifice. Volunteering at homeless shelter quickly puts our “financial sacrifice” into perspective though.

You’ll read a lot about having your spouse 100% on board but I would say mine is on board an average of 51% of the time (which is higher than most of my decisions). It is difficult to give up your lifestyle you’re accustomed to, but my wife knows if the plan works, it will be worth the effort. I feel if you’re taking the plunge, you really have to go all in.

Hi,

I plan on living off student loans (at least partly) while in school. There’s no way we can make it without it. I say don’t be too worried. There are MANY federal and state loan repayment programs out there too if needed. Ok so don’t overdo it but don’t worry about it. Just do what you have to do and remember the reason for doing it. Take time to love your family when needed and it will all work out. I am 34, will start my journey this fall with pre-reqs and won’t be finished til I’m around 44. I will definitely have student loans and it will all be worth it. We only live once as far as we know and we can’t have regrets on our deathbeds. Just take a deep breath and it will all work out. Don’t live outside your means. Live a simple life. Get sleep. Exercise when you can. Give your family hugs and kisses. You’ll be ok

I am a wife and mother of 3 but my husband makes the money while I go to school full time. He does however take online classes. Have you considered an online university for at least some of the classes that you still need? My husband has had a really great experience with online classes and has been able to maintain his full time job as well. Just a thought. Good luck!

• kirstie001 Said:
I am a wife and mother of 3 but my husband makes the money while I go to school full time. He does however take online classes. Have you considered an online university for at least some of the classes that you still need? My husband has had a really great experience with online classes and has been able to maintain his full time job as well. Just a thought. Good luck!

Be *very* careful with taking on-line courses when pursuing a pre-med course of study. There is still a pretty significant bias against them (in some cases deservedly so, see: University of Phoenix) so they need to be approached with caution. I doubt many ADCOMS will hold it against if you take, say, English or Sociology on-line through the university you are already attending full-time, but I'd expect a jaundiced eye to be cast on anything like a core science course.

Some med schools will accept on-line courses, but at the moment those schools are few and far between. I definitely would not use online classes to fulfill pre-med science course requirements. You might (might) get away with it for statistics and or calculus. Maybe.

Better safe than sorry.

Cheers,

Judy

Hi

here is an example of Med School (San Antonio TX) that mention on-line courses. That will give you an idea (note however that this is just one school and many still do not accept any on-line class at all).

• In reply to:
In certain circumstances a limited amount of online course work not required for the major and not a prescribed course for application to medical school may be considered. On-line courses need to be from approved universities via the 6 regional accreditors (http://www.neasc.org/; http://www.ncacasi.org/; http://www.msche.org/; http://www.sacs.org/; http://www.wascweb.org/).

However, to apply there you also need Biochem (this is a requirement!). Also note that on-line courses are OK for courses NOT REQUIRED (so no sciences, english and math would be accepted if done on-line). By reading the "tone" you can see that although they accept some on-line courses, it seems as they are very cautious in saying it ("in certain cirumstances, a limited"), so I suppose they would go on a case by case basis (see, I can do some Verbal Reasoning, why the hec did I screw it up on the MCAT?).