Technical Standards

Hi again, all!

Some of the schools I’m interested in applying to list technical standards which they state candidates must possess to be admitted. From one school’s website (http://com.msu.edu/A…_Standards.htm):

A candidate must be able to do basic laboratory tests (urinalysis, CBC, etc.), carry out diagnostic procedures (proctoscopy, paracentesis, etc.), and read EKG’s and radiologic images.

U of M has similar technical standards: https://medicine.umi…alStandards.pdf

Am I interpreting this correctly to mean that I should be able to read x-rays, etc. prior to matriculation? That’s doesn’t make much sense, but I keep going over the wording and can’t come up with a different interpretation of them.

I’d appreciate any insight into this. Thanks!

For MSU, those are just saying that you must have the physical ability to do those. Like, you have to have neurological control of your upper limbs in order to manipulate patients. You won’t freak out if you have to stick someone with a needle. You must be able to see well enough to observe a patient. You aren’t expected to be able to do any of the specific tasks with any skill, you just must possess the capacity to do them when asked to.

Don’t read too much into it. You’re not expected to be a doctor before they teach you how to be a doctor. At most, some schools may make you get your basic life support certification the summer before you start.

There’s probably another long list of standards that you will have to be able to do at a competent level before you graduate (like actually interpret films).

Kennymac is correct. The standards mean the school wants you to have the physical capabilities to do those tasks. They do not expect you to know how to do them when you matriculate, that’s something you’ll learn in school. That being said every school also has an office for students with disabilities to make sure they are in compliance with the ADA and so students get the help they need.

There are common core standards that you’ll have to meet to graduate, and those will be tested in school and the board exams also count. So basically as long as you pass all your classes and the board exams you will have fulfilled those requirements. You will not be expected to read films like a radiologist, but you will need a basic understanding of what to look for. Such as where you should expect to see air, what normal anatomy is and therefore what would be abnormal. There are a lot of radiological findings that are pathognomonic for certain diseases. Same with EKG’s. Again these are things you’ll be taught in school and reinforced when you study for boards and on rotations.