Tell me about you and being a medical student/physician

I’ve not been on in a while due to long working hours, and so I wanted to come back and seek advice/wisdom from you all…

What said to you a career as a physician is for me? Say over being a physical therapist, a nurse, professor, research, etc…

What is the biggest downfall of being a physician today as opposed to let’s say 10-20 years ago that had you known earlier you would’ve chosen a different path?

If not a physician, what would you have chosen to be? Do you sometimes consider what might it have been to have done that other career?

Lastly, I know as with any career, you get out of it what you put in to it. With that in mind, how does the life of a medical student to resident to practicing physician potentially interfere with family life and what do you do to keep family first and lot allowing your work to consume you?

Thank you all in advance for if not answering at least reading. I’m still in that process of deciding what career path to take with my life. I have it narrowed but I want to be make a fully informed decision first.

« If not a physician, what would you have chosen to be? »

Novelist

«Do you sometimes consider what might it have been to have done that other career? »

I reject the premise of mutual exclusivity. Could still happen- not dead yet!!

• southpawslugger Said:
I've not been on in a while due to long working hours, and so I wanted to come back and seek advice/wisdom from you all...

What said to you a career as a physician is for me? Say over being a physical therapist, a nurse, professor, research, etc..

What is the biggest downfall of being a physician today as opposed to let's say 10-20 years ago that had you known earlier you would've chosen a different path?

If not a physician, what would you have chosen to be? Do you sometimes consider what might it have been to have done that other career?

Lastly, I know as with any career, you get out of it what you put in to it. With that in mind, how does the life of a medical student to resident to practicing physician potentially interfere with family life and what do you do to keep family first and lot allowing your work to consume you?

Thank you all in advance for if not answering at least reading. I'm still in that process of deciding what career path to take with my life. I have it narrowed but I want to be make a fully informed decision first.

I've been a Salesman, a Nurse and now a Medical student.

This has been the happiest I have been

I feel you should something you love in life then you will be the best you can at it.

This is whay I tell people to shadow about a week ( at least 40 hours +) so you know what the job is like.

Last I feel many jobs "get in the way of family / personal time" I know many exec's who spend weeks away from home and miss things with the Kids, It's not just Doctors, also even lower level managers, My wife has been a manager at Staples and worked 60 to 70 hours at times.