Terrible GPA and age..Is there any hope?

I am now 40 and I have a GPA of 2.6. I started back to school in 2000, but since that time I have failed several classes due to my divorce. It took me two years to recover from that, but I am now on the right track. I have now been back in school since last year. I took six months off, and I am now making better grades. I am still pursuing a career in medicine. I first started to go for nursing, but I have worked in the medical field for years as a tech/monitor tech/unit secretary and I prefer to go all the way. I am a bit concerned that my history could keep me from getting into med school. I need some advice. My dream is to become a physician…I hope I am not too late. I want to bring my GPA up to a competitive level, but I may have to go to grad school first. Please advise…

I am 48 and had a 2.6 and am beginning second year at tourocon-ny in a couple of weeks. there is hope. douglas.morrison@touro.edu for more info

Hi bbiebinger!

The first thing that you need to do, is realize you can’t do anything about your past…it’s done. Concentrate on now…you can raise some of the F’s by retaking them and thus raising your GPA (applicable towards the DO).

What I did was make a worksheet with each and every class I took (and retook). This required me to request a copy of each transcript (I really messed up when I was younger by not withdrawing form classes correctly). After figuring everything out to this date, my cGPA with everything is a 3.38 and it is 3.71 with the retakes.

I know that I am going to have some explaining to do, but if I can make the best application possible which includes a strong showing on the MCAT, good ECs and LORs, I think I have as much a shot as any traditional student.

You can do it…don’t worry about old grades, just work towards a better future!

Kris

(also a former monitor tech and current NICU unit secretary)

Not only is it “doable,” but it sounds like you have an incredible “beat the odds” story for your medical school interview! Hang in there!

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I want to thank everyone for their advice. I am keeping my head up and in the books. I plan on graduating in may of 2010. I am taking the MCAT in the late summer early fall. I have Kaplans MCAT prep. Is that good enough?