Thanks guys, I'm out

So yeah, haven’t posted in awhile because I’ve been enjoying the summer and the break from school, but I figured since I haven’t said anything I might as well do it now that I’ve made up my mind.

I’m completely out of the pre-med thing, not even going to get a science degree or do the pre-reqs, because I’m just quite honestly completely at odds with the way health care is going as far as the legal ramifications of being a doctor, the fighting with insurance companies over what treatment gets approved, the politics of being in a hospital, the diminishing amount of respect from patients, etc.

Now, I /was/ just going to get a job with my degree and call it good, maybe be a scuba instructor, but something outside medicine at any rate. Well, after doing the rescue diver class, and after working some ALS shifts now that I switched ambulance companies to one that isn’t retarded and actually has ALS shifts (funny too because I’m getting mostly ALS shifts due to my experience over some of the employees who have been there a lot longer), I’ve talked to some paramedics and I’ve been on the fence about doing that for a long time and I’ve now finally made up my mind. Hell, the medic I work with most of the time flat out told me today he’s going to talk to the person who does the schedule for the ambulance company and tell her he doesn’t want to work with any other EMT but me…that medic thinks I’m very articulate, an extremely fast learner, and he was actually surprised at how much medical knowledge, pharmacology, etc. I know.

So in a nut shell, the EMS bug won’t get the hell off me, that sucker bit down hard and it’s teeth are firmly lodged in me, so I’m just going to get my degree and then go to paramedic school, get my P card and then work as a medic for as long as it takes to get enough experience to get on a helo which is where I’d like to be as far as careers go since you don’t call for a bird unless shit hits the fan and flight medics make good enough money to do that as a career.

I want to thank everyone for all the info, advice, comments, etc. I’ve received in the past. Granted, I’m going to end up in pre-hospital care instead of allopathic medicine, however, I truly appreciate all the input I’ve gotten from everyone on OPM and I thank you guys from the bottom of my heart. And of course, if you want, I’ll keep you guys posted on how I’m doing as far as medic school and working in EMS goes.

Tim, best of luck and congratulations on making a decision that you’re comfortable with! Do keep posting and let us know how things go.

-Terry

Best of luck Tim I think one should always do what they Love!

This sounds like a very good decision for you. I wish everyone thought so carefully about this. Most of us do not have the perspective or understanding as premeds to know that this long, expensive process can lead to a very challenging career that may not provide the kind of rewards we want. We focus only on, “can I get into med school?” It takes a lot of insight and humility to let go of the ego gratification associated with the MD, and to recognize that you will provide real service in your position.

Good luck.

• meowmix Said:
This sounds like a very good decision for you. I wish everyone thought so carefully about this. Most of us do not have the perspective or understanding as premeds to know that this long, expensive process can lead to a very challenging career that may not provide the kind of rewards we want. We focus only on, "can I get into med school?" It takes a lot of insight and humility to let go of the ego gratification associated with the MD, and to recognize that you will provide real service in your position.

Good luck.

Yeah, pretty much. Ironically, anyone who's ever worked as an EMT is probably aware of how large the scope of practice for Paramedics is, so there's plenty of ego gratification associated with Paramedic since we know how much medics can do and how much they're expected to know. Hell, for that matter a medic can do some of the same stuff a doctor can such as intubation. thanks though guys, I'll keep ya in the loop!

You found a career that you are happy with. We should all wish to be that lucky. Congrats dude.

Yeah, wish that decision lasted longer than me looking up the pay rates for paramedics with no experience…so much for making at least a meager amount with which to pay back bills and have a little bit left over. I knew transport companies only paid 13-15/hour but it seems like even the 911 companies aren’t much better if at all.

Now I’m wondering how much bio w/lab, ochem w/lab and physics w/lab is going to suck this fall.