the beginning

Hello all,

I am thrilled to find that this community and forum exists. I completed my undergraduate degree (BA) two years ago and after taking the time I should have taken before this degree I am now clear that I want to try for medical school. After making my decision I decided to spend the next few months saving then investing myself fully for the spring semester.

I have two questions though. (please redirect me if this information is available at length in another section of this forum)

How do I go about applying for and taking courses at universities as a graduated student? and

What is the terminology involved with the programs? (extension, or continuing education, or etc.?)

This question seems silly, but I want to make sure that I enroll in the correct courses through the correct channels to give me the necessary information and more importantly the necessary credentials on my transcript to apply for and hopefully enroll in medschool.

My other question is do I need to take courses beyond bio, chem , org chem, phys, and calc?

If so what do you recommend?

Thank you very much for your help

I think at a 4 year college you apply as a non-degree seeking student. UT Austin for example offers extension courses that qualify for the pre-med requirements. I would check with the local extension program if it has similar route. From what I hear, extension courses are cheaper and generally have classes later in the evenings which is more suitable for working adults. Some Texas schools require Biochem besides the classes you mentioned.

You can also apply to your local university as seeking a second bachelor’s degree. I don’t know how it works elsewhere, but I couldn’t receive funds unless I was fully matriculated, pursuing a degree unrelated to my previous major.

Congrats on your decision, and welcome!!

I have a BA and a BSN plus a Master’s degree so I am in a Master of Interdisciplinary Studies (I’m in Texas too). This allows me to take my pre-meds while in a degree program.

Hope that helps!!

Thank you very much for the advice.

I have found it all very helpful.

Your words were what I needed

Generally I have found that in North Carolina the state universities offer non degree programs (which include extensions) and second degree programs.

I have two other basic questions,

If I start a second degree program without completing it will this have any effect on my chances to get into medschool?

Are there reasons not to take some courses at one school and some courses at another?

(for instances, phys, chem, bio at one, and calc org chem at another)

Thank you very much for your help,

again for your kind words and encouragement.

You asked : “I have two other basic questions,

If I start a second degree program without completing it will this have any effect on my chances to get into medschool?

Are there reasons not to take some courses at one school and some courses at another?

(for instances, phys, chem, bio at one, and calc org chem at another)

Thank you very much for your help,”

Answers: no, and no.

Schools understand that you must sometimes enroll in another degree program to get the courses you need (some undergrad institutions get this too). Not a problem not to finish it, as long as you already have a bachelor’s degree.

And take the courses wherever you can get them-- 4 year colleges by preference.

Kate